Canned soup for emergencies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I was thinking about how many people are sick right now and wondered what could be some good tasting canned soups that could be kept for emergencies. It is nice to have fresh or even frozen soups, but that doesn't always happen when one is sick. Do you have any ideas about what could be kept in the pantry for such a time?

I'm a big fan of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. There are a few different varieties now, but I'm all for the original too. That's what I recall from growing up, and that's what we have on hand here now.

Licia, there are some delicious canned soups available now. Progresso makes some good ones...clam chowder, Grilled Chicken Italiano, and Chicken & Wild Rice are particularly good. I like the Beef and barley once in a while, too.
Campbells' Chunky makes GREAT soups...some so good I could put them in a pot and serve to company, and my guests would never guess they are canned. Smoked chicken and corn chowder, Split pea with ham, potatoes and carrots, Roasted chicken/vegetable and Chicken and noodle are some of my faves, but there are many more.
Of course, all those soups are high in sodium. For a lower sodium soup, try Healthy Choice Chicken noodle or Hearty chicken vegetable. The Chicken Noodle would be my choice for my "patient".
The reason I know all these soups is that I have a can of soup almost every day for lunch. I (usually) pick the lower fat soups. They are filling, satisfying, and healthier than a lunchmeat sandwich. And depending on where we buy the soups, I get a wholesome lunch for between $1.50-$2.50.

I've always had a problem with canned beef soups, though. Even the best ones, like Chunky grilled sirloin with mushrooms and vegies, always taste "canned". I have discovered that if I add garlic herb seasoning and a few drops of hot sauce, they aren't bad.

By the way, BigDog, I alwys keep Campbell's Chicken Noodle on hand. You can't be a mom or a grandma without it.

Last edited:
Constance said:
By the way, BigDog, I alwys keep Campbell's Chicken Noodle on hand. You can't be a mom or a grandma without it.

It's engraved into my psychi. Sick = eat Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. I like the Nabisco Premium Saltines along with it. In the Big Dog kitchen (well, pantry) it's the original for yours truly, and Homestyle for Mrs. Big Dog. I'll cheat and use the Homestyle too on occasion. :-p

Even if your not sick, t'aint nothing like a good bowl of CCNS and grilled cheese. I know, Tomato Soup is the tradition, but I'm not a big fan of it.

The best canned soup, to us, is Dominique's U.S. Senate Bean Soup.

It apparently is made by the same recipe they have been making for over one hundred years in the Senate's restaurant.

Just Google if you want the recipe. It is in the public domain.

The canned version is fine soup, but pricey. We find it in our local supermarkets.

When it is cold, and you are sick, it is a very warming soup.

Thanks. I think I will just print this out as an addition to my grocery list. It is always nice to have something easy to prepare (especially if I'm the one who is sick, since DH can only fry eggs). Possibly he could use a canopener and heat some soup.

:) If I eat canned soup I always go for Cambells tomato soup its goes well with a tuna or grilled cheese sandwich I also like Cambells barley beef soup.
Of course homemade is best but in a pinch canned soup is not too bad I ate alot of Cambells as a kid, especially the tomato soup so its kinda a comfort food for me.
On the other hand there are alot of soups you can make from scratch and then freeze in small batches which are nice to have even when you are not sick.

Last edited:
If I have a cold or stuffy head ... chicken noodle. Scientists have studied this "phenomena" and can't say how/why it works - they can just confirm that it does.

I also always have some raman noodle soups on hand - and some oyster sauce.

For canned - I prefer either a bean (bean with bacon, black bean, split pea) or a "cream of" ... take your pick.

He better be able to heat soup up for you! My choice for soups are progresso, particularly the chicarina soup which has pearl pasta, meatballs, and lots of veggies. Campbells chicken noodle soup is always good. Since your sick, and hot beverage would be good for you. Try tea, hot water with lemon and sugar, and of course soup.

I'm not sick, but my dd came back from Alaska quite sick, so it started my thought processes going. I'm eating so much citrus the germs have quite a time getting to me, but just in case I want dh to be able to open a can at least.

licia said:
I'm not sick, but my dd came back from Alaska quite sick, so it started my thought processes going. I'm eating so much citrus the germs have quite a time getting to me, but just in case I want dh to be able to open a can at least.
licia,
my m-i-l always kept chicken and beef broth on hand..When her twins and my DH were little and not feeling well, she would heat the broth, add a little pastina or tiny pasta then get the soup all most to a boil and whisk up and egg and slowly add it to the simmering soup, stirring to make what she called strings..They loved it and Dh will sometimes ask me to make him some strings:LOL:

kadesma

I just brought some cartons of Campbell selects and other Organic soups and they are incredibly good. I tasted the tomato and roasted red pepper soup and it's rich and more like a bisque. They were on sale so I stocked up on a variety of them - Squash, Red Pepper, Tomato and others.

I think I will now use them over the canned varieties. If you have not tried them give them a shot and see if you like them better. I found their texture much better than the Progresso and Campbell canned versions.

There is nothing wrong to serve canned or carton soup once in a while with a sandwich or just some crusty store bought bread. Throw in a salad and you have a hearty meal in the winter months.

I agree with the others that the Original Campbell's chicken/noodle is a great one to have on hand at all times. Progresso and Campbell's Chunky soups are good too. Growing up on ranches, my Mom usually made the Lipton's dry chicken/noodle soup for us when we were sick. I still remember the taste of that; haven't gotten that to make for a very long time as I almost always have soup that I made from scratch in my freezer.

Strang how being sick can come with good memories... but I fondly remember
eating CCNS and vanilla ice cream when I was sick. That's still what I want today when ever I'm down and out.

Primo brand makes a really good lentil soup. It's the "ready to serve" type, so you just heat and eat. :chef:

I also really like the reduced fat Campbells brand "cream" soups. Cream of mushroom, celery, and broccoli are all really tasty.

i don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but give up salt for a few months, and then try canned soups. all you'll taste is salt, to the point where you think it's chemically searing your tongue. my advice is make your own and freeze them. many of the techniques involved in soup making are the same that are used in a myriad of other basic but crucial cooking techniques used in all ethnicities of cuisine, but because it's soup, or stew, the mistakes are easily forgiven and hidden.

buckytom said:
i don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but give up salt for a few months, and then try canned soups. all you'll taste is salt, to the point where you think it's chemically searing your tongue. my advice is make your own and freeze them. many of the techniques involved in soup making are the same that are used in a myriad of other basic but crucial cooking techniques used in all ethnicities of cuisine, but because it's soup, or stew, the mistakes are easily forgiven and hidden.

This is quite true actually. Canned soups contain a lot of sodium. (most contain up to 50% of the recommended daily allowence for sodium :ohmy: )

That idea about making a batch of soup and freezing it is a good one, buckytom. I've done this and it works well. I portion it out into those bowl shaped tupperwares that way whenever I want a bowl I dont have to thaw out a whole batch... i can just reheat the one serving.

I also will make a batch of vegetable stock and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then whenever I want a quick, fresh, soup I can just chop up a few veggies (celery, onion, carrots, potato) and toss in some of the stock w/ some herbs.

I have a few different brands of canned soup in my pantry. I haven't bought any of them, PeppA and her mother get them. Off the top of my head, there's some chicken noodle, a can of clam chowder, and some beef stew. We also have some "instant" chicken noodle soup packages, some different flavors of Ramen noodles, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with buckytom. Commercial soups, and just about all commercial "convience foods" are loaded with salt. I make a point to cook the food first, taste it, then add salt if needed.

I was heating some of the chicken noodle a couple weeks ago, and had to doctor it up with a little of my homemade chicken stock (which I keep frozen in ice cubes), pepper, thyme, and sage. I don't think I added any salt to it.

I also agree with buckytom and grumblebee about freezing soups. However, a word of advice: Don't freeze soups with diced potatoes. The potatoes don't thaw very well. I'm not sure about rice in soups either. Lately, I've taken to cooking rice separately of the soup, and adding it later. This keeps the rice from overcooking in the soup after I take it off the heat, and before I store it.

I prefer to freeze stuff in ziplock-type baggies, as you can squeeze out the air, and don't have much of a problem with freezer burn. I've been known to freeze about 2 qt of chili at a time in a gallon ziplock. I'm sure you can freeze a pint or soup in a qt-size baggie for a single serving.

As I mentioned with the chicken stock, I freeze my stock in ice cube trays. I do this with chicken, beef, and seafood.

I usually have a variety of canned soups in the cupboard (all various makes and models), but I also always have homemade soup in the freezer. The canned soups are there just for emergencies, but thankfully I have never had to use them.

Back
Top Bottom