Chicken chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetdaisy

Assistant Cook
does anyone have a recipe for chicken chowder? My neighbors make one that is amazeing and they wont give up the recipe. lol i know that it has celery, carrots, chicken of course i believe rice. Does any one have a similar recipe? thanks in advance :) melissa

I do not like it when people won't give recipes! Why do they have to be so secretive? Anyways, here is an excellent chicken chowder. It does not call for rice, but cooked rice (wild or brown) or even cooked barley would be an excellent addition.

Chicken Chowder
1 Leftover chicken carcass
1 Bouguet garni (parsley sprigs, fresh thyme, 1 bay leaf, and peppercorns, tied in cheesecloth)
2 Cloves garlic, chopped
3 Potatoes, peeled and diced
3 Carrots, sliced
2 Ribs celery, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 c Scalded milk (can use 1/2 cream)
2 Egg yolks
2 tb Dry sherry
2 c Chicken, cooked, chopped

1.In a large saucepan, combine the chicken carcass, bouquet garni and garlic in 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Strain broth, refrigerate, and skim fat.
2.In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
3.Beat milk into egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot broth. Stir into soup. Add sherry and chicken. Heat through but do not boil. Serve with cheese biscuits or cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom