"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Chicken Corn Chowder TNT

This is my absolute favorite meal for this time of the year. It is good to make right now, when the squash is in season and fresh corn is just at the end of it's season. Be forewarned, it is a labor intensive recipe but you will have corn chowder coming out of your ears for a month. Be sure to use a very big pot! I will be making this tomorrow for dinner! Maybe I will post some pictures...yum!
Chicken Corn Chowder
10 bacon slices*
2 Tablespoons butter (¼ stick)
3 medium white onions, chopped
2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
¼ cup all purpose flour
6 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes
2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled, and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 ½ Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
8 ears fresh corn cut away from the cob or 2 16-ounce bags frozen corn kernels
1 cup whipping cream
2 roast chicken using white meat only, shredded
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Green chili to taste (optional)

Cook bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but ¼ cup drippings from pot. Add butter to pot; melt over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Mix in broth, squash, potatoes and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until squash and potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. If using frozen corn add this now as well as cream and green chili. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add chicken, ½ cup cilantro and if using fresh corn; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle chowder into bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro.

*from my understanding, you only use the bacon grease in the recipe. In the past I've just used olive oil and omitted the grease.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What a beautiful looking recipe corazon, the addition of butternut squash is something I haven't seen in a chicken & corn chowder before, I'm sure it adds a whole new demention to this TNT classic!

Thank-you for sharing this scrumptious recipe

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Everymom

Yum! thanks! I don't have any green chiles. Can I use some chile flakes instead do you suppose?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Everymom

I'm going to use my own chicken stock, by my calculations it should be about 10-11cups right? So we are looking at my stock pot not my dutch oven for this right?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

This recipe tickles someithing deep in me, somewhere in my psyche, and says softly, but irresistably, ultimate comfort food.

The recipe looks so good, that I have coppied it to my recipe files. I've even created a new folder for it, and full credit is given to you, Corazon. It has your name in the title. Thanks for a great looking recipe. Can't wait to try it out (well maybe I can as fresh corn on the cob is a little hard to come by right now).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, use your stock pot. It freezes well too.
Sometimes I like to throw a few ladles of the chowder into the blender, then I pour it back into the pot. It thickens it up and adds a bit of texture. I also like blending it to disperse the green chile and cilantro throughout the soup.
I'm not sure about the chile flakes instead. You mean like red pepper flakes? I suppose you could try it. I think the spice in there is quite nice.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
This recipe tickles someithing deep in me, somewhere in my psyche, and says softly, but irresistably, ultimate comfort food.

The recipe looks so good, that I have coppied it to my recipe files. I've even created a new folder for it, and full credit is given to you, Corazon. It has your name in the title. Thanks for a great looking recipe. Can't wait to try it out (well maybe I can as fresh corn on the cob is a little hard to come by right now).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Yes, it is pure comfort food. I used frozen corn yesterday. I like cutting it off the cob but the frozen sure is convenient and like you said fresh corn is a little hard to come by right now.

Hope you like it Goodweed. I'm curious to see what you do with it.
It's cold out so this chowder warms you up in more ways than one.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Everymom

Bumping. I lost this for a bit.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Master Chef

I never did say how I liked this recipe. It is well worth making. I like to add masa harina to add flavor and thicken it a bit. Thanks to Corazon once more for this wonderful recipe.

Here's another, more Native American style corn chowder for your pleasure.

Ingredients:
*3 lbs pork sirloin, roasted with salt and pepper to an internal temperature of 150' F., and cut into bite-sized cubes
*All Juices from the roast
*2 quarts Chicken Stock
*2 cups cooked White or Yellow Hominy
*2 medium onions, coarse dice
*2 Poblano Peppers Peppers, slliced
*2 Carrots, thick sliced
*1 stalk celery, sliced
*2 leeks, sliced
*2 cloves Garlic, minced
*Salt & Pepper to taste
*4 tbs. Masa Harina
Add all ingredients into the pot and simmer until the veggies are soft. Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None