"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Chicken gumbo soup but not really?

Anyone ever had one of those chicken gumbo soups that are called chicken gumbo but they are not really gumbo. You can tell they are not made with a dark roux or anything like that. I mean i like chicken gumbo but these soups i also like very much too. When i search on chicken gumbo soup all i find is the traditional chicken gumbo which is not what i want. There is a sub shop near me that fixes awesome chicken gumbo soup. I would sure like to find a recipe like this. Can anyone help?

ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Head Chef
Ncage, would love to help as I am sure many here would, but it would help if you gave some details about the soup.

Perhaps you could deconstruct it a tad. By that I mean tell us what is in it that you can figure out? Are there chicken pieces? If so, what size? How about veggies? Is there okra, celery, maybe tomatoes, perhaps some rice. Is the soup very liquidy and what is the color? And most importantly, what can you taste in it?

That is one approach.

Or can go in, buy the soup for a few days, and ask about the recipe.

If not the full recipe they will probably tell you a bit about it.

Just a few ideas that strike me at this early hour.

Good luck and God bless.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
In my area one never speaks of gumbo soup...There is gumbo...then there is soup....Not all gumbo is roux based...I think auntdot has got the plan...We need more details.....
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Just make a chicken vegetable soup and add okra. That is the "gumbo" these are "selling".
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote