Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Liela..I dont make this soup from a recipe...so quantity is by feel..but keep in mind...its easy.
1 lg chicken cut in 8 pieces
carrots
parsnip
1 lg onion
1 turnip
celery
dill, parsley
salt and pepper
Add all to lg pot and cover w/cold water...cook partially covered for about 1 1/2 hrs.
Strain soup..cut up chicken and put bk in. If you want vege in your soup add frsh cut up carrots etc..near end of cooking..so they are not overcooked.
The basic idea is to cook the chicken and flavor the broth.
therefore the vege and herbs you use are really up to you!
For instance I put dill on the list...because its a classic chicken soup herb..but I dont use..I add a sweet Potato as I have found it adds sweetness.
Variations...
I make an asian style...leave out dill...add ginger and garlic
I then set up big soup bowls filled w/Asian noodles...snow peas,bean sprouts, pieces of broccoli....pour soup over and serve..its a meal in a bowl.
My new favorite chicken soup!!
Hope this helps.

Chicken noodle soup:

1 soup chicken
2 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 lg carrot grated finely
1 lg onion, chopped
3 pkts low salt chicken flavor instant broth
1/2 to 3/4 pkg egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste

In large soup pan place chicken in water enough to cover chicken. Cook on medium until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and let it cool. Add to the broth in the pan carrots, celery, grated carrot, onion and chicken flavor packets. Cook about 10 minutes. Pick chicken meat off bones and add to pot (no skin). In a separate pan cook egg noodles until almost done. Drain and add to soup. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE: if soup needs more water, add by the cup and for each cup add 1 packet of chicken flavoring.

This is actually a basic soup that I make, and either switch out the rice, noodles (frozen egg noodles), or dumplings. Although I've indicated quantities, I usually make this one "by feel" and "to taste".

Chicken Rice Soup
Yields: about 1 gal

For this dish, I usually buy a cold, Roast Chicken from Tyson at my local grocery stores. These are fairly cheap, and I get the scraps to save to make stock with. Please note that you can also use leftover roast chicken or roast turkey for this one. I like to serve this with a good garlic bread on those cold nights, especially if I’m not feeling good.

One chicken, cooked, picked, and roughly chopped, saving any chicken fat (optional)
2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 t sage
1 t thyme
2 t minced garlic
2 bay leaves
½ t paprika
2 c uncooked rice
2 qt chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Using a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. If you saved any of the chicken fat, use that as well, as this adds some richness to the soup. Add the onions, celery, sage, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, a little black pepper, and paprika. Sauté until the onions start to turn translucent.
Add the rice and mix well to thoroughly coat the rice with fat. Sauté over medium-high heat just briefly, until the rice begins to toast a bit. Add the chicken and the chicken stock. Bring this to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When this is done, taste to check for seasoning. Add enough salt to make it taste like chicken, but not be overly salty. Add any black pepper, if needed.

Either I have not been cooking long enough or I have not been reading recipes. Either way pardon my stupidity, but what in the world an abbreviation “lg” means?

I didn't know where to stick this recipe, but it's a good soup and should be put under the soup topic somewhere. If you don't want to use the rice, make a batch of small noodles in a separate pan and then drain. When ready to serve, ladle the soup over cooked noodles.

Chicken soup with leeks:

4 cans (13 3/4 oz) chicken broth
1 cup water
2 leeks, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup instant rice
1 cup thin strips cooked chicken
2 tbsp minced parsley
olive oil

In the bottom of a large saucepan or dutch oven, sautee onion and garlic in a little oil until onion is translucent. Add broth, water, leeks, scallions, carrots salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer 30 min until vegies are tender. Add rice and chicken.. cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. makes 8 servings.

This line has been fun to watch, given that I make soup stock just about every month, and never use a recipe. what is there is what goes in. Iknow I've succeeded by the gelatanous feel of the stock when it is refrigerated. For what it is worth, if you'd like a really great sweet/sour asian feel to your chicken soup, order a ton of hot wings the next time you go out. Chicken wings have a wonderful quality in stocks. The hot wings will add a marvelous spiciness to your soup. When you boil the wings, toss in a bit of ginger, a bit of garlic. But not necessary, the wings are spice enough. Drain, refrigerate, skim. Then just add a little sliced green onion, or if you're feeling adventurous, a bit of egg drop. Yummmyummm.

If you don't even want to cook your chicken buy a rotisserie chicken and go from there - that's what I did one night.

I sauteed some carrots, onions, and celery together, I heated the broth with the carcus, these veggies and after almost done I removed the carcuss and went from there. While I was opening cans is when I let it heat up together.

Then I added frozen Brussels sprouts, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower and let those cook, then I added a can of corn and green beans. Sometimes I will also add parsnips or turnips. I also like to add at the end a small amount of tubetti or tubettini.

It was pretty good!

Chicken noodle soup:

1 large whole fryer
1 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup parsley, minced
4 garlic clove, crushed
1 cup carrots, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tsp poultry seasoning
4 qt water
12 oz broad egg noodles
2 tbsp butter
1 cup onion rings, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup cream sherry
1 salt & pepper, to taste
1 scallions, for garnish

First, take the chicken and wash it thoroughly - that means both
inside and out! Remove the giblets, scrub out the internal cavity
under cold running water, and scrape away anything that doesn't look
edible. (But DO NOT remove the chicken skin or any of the fat! You
need the skin to make a rich stock.)

Next, take a crock pot and place the chicken and giblets into it. Then drop in the diced onions, the 1/2 c of celery, the 1/2 c of minced parsley, the
garlic, chopped carrots and bay leaves, poultry seasoning and 2
quarts of water. Then, with a spoon, evenly distribute the seasoning
mixture around the chicken, turn the crock pot to high, and cook for
at least six hours (or better still, OVERNIGHT). Remember, the longer
you cook, the richer the base stock and the more tender the chicken.

While the chicken is slow-cooking, it's a good time to prepare
your noodles. Go ahead and boil them according to package
directions... but DO NOT COOK THEM UNTIL DONE! Keep in mind that
you're going to drop them into a soup, so you want them el dente
(firm), otherwise they'll turn to pure mush by the time you eat them.
Furthermore, you want a small percent of the starch in the noodles to
cook into the soup to thicken it slightly -if you cook the noodles
all the way, the soup's consistency will be flat and thin.

After the noodles are cooked, butter them slightly and set them
aside.

When the chicken is tender, take a set of tongs or a strainer
spoon, remove it from the crock pot (it may tend to fall apart, but
that's okay), and set it on a platter to cool. At this point, strain
out all the seasoning vegetables from the stock, place the stock into
a metal bowl, and place the bowl into the refrigerator or freezer
until the chicken fat congeals (which should take about 1 hour).
Meanwhile, pick the chicken off the bones and, with a sharp knife,
chop it into bit-sized pieces.

Then, in a heavy 12-inch skillet, melt the butter and saute the
sliced onions, mushrooms, and carrots until they're tender. Then
drop in the chopped chicken meat. And over medium-low heat, cook it
into the vegetables for about 10 minutes.

While the chicken and vegetables are sauteing, remove the chicken
stock from the refrigerator, skim off all the fat, and place the
skimmed stock into a soup pot, along with the remaining 2 quarts of
water. At this point, you should season the soup stock to taste with
salt and pepper.

Now drop in the sauteed chicken, mushrooms, onion rings and diced
carrots - along with the sherry, the Tabasco, and as soon as it
comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for about
30 minutes to allow all the flavors to thoroughly blend.

When you're ready to eat, ladle out heaping helpings of the
piping hot soup into bowls, garnish with a sprinkling of thinly
sliced green onions, and serve with crunched saltines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom