"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

I don't know what the problem? I don't like the soup, period. You do like the soup, period. How can anybody argue about the personal taste.

But if you want to argue, be my pleasure. 2 hours of cooking. Why bother with cooked chicken and store bought broth. Just make the whole darn thing your self from scratch and fresh. Takes 15-20 min prep time plus one hour of cooking. Common.

Ok I realise that cooked chicken will give completely diferent flavor from simple chicken noodle soup.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

No worries Kitchenelf, Nobody is making me feel bad by posting that they dont think they would like it. I will say that every single person that has actually tasted my soup has really liked it though.

I have to admit I rarely and I do mean rarely ever have fresh herbs on hand. I have always wanted to grow some but just never got around to actually growing any.

As for the 2 hours of simmering. I have tested different times with the soup and the 2 hour mark was what I found delivers the best results. With all those herbs in the soup it takes time for all the herbs to meld with the broth. Again, this is using dried herbs and not fresh. I honestly have no idea what the time would be with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I don't know what the problem? I don't like the soup, period. You do like the soup, period. How can anybody argue about the personal taste.

But if you want to argue, be my pleasure. 2 hours of cooking. Why bother with cooked chicken and store bought broth. Just make the whole darn thing your self from scratch and fresh. Takes 15-20 min prep time plus one hour of cooking. Common.

Ok I realise that cooked chicken will give completely diferent flavor from simple chicken noodle soup.

I wont argue that using your own homemade stock wouldn't be better. I will argue the point of cooking time is not for cooking the meat as it is to make the ingredients blend well together. As for using the skin, that really is a personal preference thing. Do you eat the skin on your chicken when you fry it? If so, it really isn't any different. But if your the type of person that doesn't like all that fat on your chicken then I am sure you wouldn't want to use it. CharlieD stated earlier that "dried marjoram and oregano" was the kicker that he wouldnt like it. Obviously he doesn't like those herbs and they are key herbs in the soup.

I would much prefer a person knowing they dont like certain things in a soup to say they wouldn't like it rather than have them actually make it knowing they wouldn't like it and then complain about the herbs used. Nothing drives me more insane than reading recipes and seeing people give the recipes low ratings knowing going in that they can't stand certain ingredients. An example would be: a dill hater making a dill dish and then complaining how terrible it is because that it has dill in it. That really gets to me.

Tags
None