Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoomsDay

Assistant Cook
I didnt notice many chicken noodle soup recipes on here and thought I would share my favorite soup in the world with you. It is best if you can use the exact named pieces I specified in the soup.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 whole cooked chicken meat (Tysons roasted chicken is the best, I also mince the skin very fine into the soup to)
* 2 cup chopped celery
* 2 cup chopped carrots
* 1 medium chopped onion
* 1/4 cup butter
* 8 ounces noodles (use your own favorite noodles)
* 15 cups Chicken broth (I use foodlion brand chicken broth 2 large cans and 1 box)
* 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 bay leaf
* 2 tablespoon dried parsley
* 2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon of oregano
* 2 teaspoons of minced garlic

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large stock pot, saute celery and onion in butter or margarine.
2. Add chicken, carrots, chicken broth, marjoram, black pepper, bay leaf, oregano, poultry seasoning, garlic, and parsley. Simmer for 2 hours with lid on pot.
3. Add noodles, and simmer for the last 15 minutes.
4. Salt is optional as some people have a low tolerance for salt. I usually add 1 teaspon of salt during the cooking process.

This will make about 6-9 bowls (depending on how hungry you are)

This also freezes VERY well.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Sorry, doesn't sound yummy to me. Nothing personal. But starting with minced skin I already had my doubt, you lost me after butter, and when it came to "dried marjoram and oregano" I knew I would hate soup like that period. Doesn't mean it's bad. It is just my taste.

2 hours seems like a very long time to simmer if the chicken your are starting with is already cooked. If you used fresh herbs instead of dried (add at the very end) then you could probably cut that cooking time from 2 hours down to about 20 minutes.

CharlieD said:
Sorry, doesn't sound yummy to me. Nothing personal. But starting with minced skin I already had my doubt, you lost me after butter, and when it came to "dried marjoram and oregano" I knew I would hate soup like that period. Doesn't mean it's bad. It is just my taste.

No problem. This is by no means a healthy, good for you soup. It is however packed with flavor. Everyones tastebuds are different and some people just wont like it. I have 2 friends at my work that have made their own versions of this soup and I have tried them both. They both tasted ok but was very weak in comparison to mine. Heck even my wife hardly eats it anymore, but thats because I make a batch of it about every 2 weeks lol.

GB said:
2 hours seems like a very long time to simmer if the chicken your are starting with is already cooked. If you used fresh herbs instead of dried (add at the very end) then you could probably cut that cooking time from 2 hours down to about 20 minutes.

You are right, the 2 hours is for all the flavors to come together. I have not tried it using fresh herbs instead, I may have to try that at some point.

I never said anything about being healthy. I have a sign on my door : No halthy food are served here!

I can't imagine minced skin and butter in chicken soup. The herbs are unusual, to me, as well. I would certainly taste your soup, if given a chance, but I'll stick with my traditional chicken soup. My Hungarian mother taught me well.

OK, so minced skin isn't a thing some of you like - leave it out. The basic recipe is very good. I do a "quickie" chicken soup using rotisserie chicken too - I don't do the 2 hours cooking time though - that would be a bit long IMHO. Throw all these things together and cook until the carrots, celery, onion are done.

Butter in chicken soup? I'm sorry, but that's not uncommon especially when used to saute the veggies. Because this is a quick soup the butter will add a richness right away and the veggies will have a boost and a bit more flavor if slightly caramelized.

How are the herbs unusual? These are herbs/spices that go hand-in-hand with chicken.

The method may be not picture perfect in all eyes but it still would make a great soup in a hurry. Rotisserie chicken does add a nice flavor to this kind of soup and saves a lot of time in a pinch.

I am all for the fresh herbs DoomsDay - you will be amazed! But remember folks, not everyone has access or uses regularly, fresh herbs. It's a RECIPE and everyone is entitled to have their favorites. If you prefer your own it doesn't mean you have to make someone feel bad for posting one of their favorites.

I don't know what the problem? I don't like the soup, period. You do like the soup, period. How can anybody argue about the personal taste.

But if you want to argue, be my pleasure. 2 hours of cooking. Why bother with cooked chicken and store bought broth. Just make the whole darn thing your self from scratch and fresh. Takes 15-20 min prep time plus one hour of cooking. Common.

Ok I realise that cooked chicken will give completely diferent flavor from simple chicken noodle soup.

No worries Kitchenelf, Nobody is making me feel bad by posting that they dont think they would like it. I will say that every single person that has actually tasted my soup has really liked it though.

I have to admit I rarely and I do mean rarely ever have fresh herbs on hand. I have always wanted to grow some but just never got around to actually growing any.

As for the 2 hours of simmering. I have tested different times with the soup and the 2 hour mark was what I found delivers the best results. With all those herbs in the soup it takes time for all the herbs to meld with the broth. Again, this is using dried herbs and not fresh. I honestly have no idea what the time would be with that.

CharlieD said:
I don't know what the problem? I don't like the soup, period. You do like the soup, period. How can anybody argue about the personal taste.

But if you want to argue, be my pleasure. 2 hours of cooking. Why bother with cooked chicken and store bought broth. Just make the whole darn thing your self from scratch and fresh. Takes 15-20 min prep time plus one hour of cooking. Common.

Ok I realise that cooked chicken will give completely diferent flavor from simple chicken noodle soup.

I wont argue that using your own homemade stock wouldn't be better. I will argue the point of cooking time is not for cooking the meat as it is to make the ingredients blend well together. As for using the skin, that really is a personal preference thing. Do you eat the skin on your chicken when you fry it? If so, it really isn't any different. But if your the type of person that doesn't like all that fat on your chicken then I am sure you wouldn't want to use it. CharlieD stated earlier that "dried marjoram and oregano" was the kicker that he wouldnt like it. Obviously he doesn't like those herbs and they are key herbs in the soup.

I would much prefer a person knowing they dont like certain things in a soup to say they wouldn't like it rather than have them actually make it knowing they wouldn't like it and then complain about the herbs used. Nothing drives me more insane than reading recipes and seeing people give the recipes low ratings knowing going in that they can't stand certain ingredients. An example would be: a dill hater making a dill dish and then complaining how terrible it is because that it has dill in it. That really gets to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom