"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

CHICKEN PAPRIKASH question

Anyone have a good recipe for home made noodles that go in chicken paprikash? I don't know if they are any different than any normal home made noodle. My girlfriend loves this stuff-her grandma used to make it for her and her dad still makes it once in awhile. Last time her dad made it(the first time I ever had it) he used egg noodles and she said that it was nowhere near the same so I thought I would ask the experts here and see if anyone had any ideas. I found a few recipes for the paprikash itself but they suggest egg noodles so if anyone has a complete recipe that would be cool too.

BTW my general thought on the soup is that it is fairly boring but I was told that is how it is supposed to be.....must be a polish thing just kidding

EDIT: I guess I have another question. Is this traditionally served as a soup? I am coming across recipes where it is chicken breasts served over egg noodles with a sauce over it. What we had was a soup

Thanks
Brian

Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Cook

I've seens this with all sorts of stuff - noodles, dumplings, spätzle. I had a quick look using paprikache and it doesn't look like there's any right or wrong or standing out preference with the starch. I'd just ask your g/f what sort of noodle she wants and just go for it. I hope whatever you decide to do it comes out nicely.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I usually serve it with spatzle. But homemade papardelle is nice also.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
I usually serve it with spatzle. But homemade papardelle is nice also.
Do you happen to have a recipe handy for the soup? the one that I thought I had is incorrect

For the spatzle-i found this recipe:

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water (more or less)

But how thin do you cut it? It just says to cut it thin. Maybe the thickness of a fettucine noodle? I have never had spatzle is the reason I am asking

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Cook

Spätzle mixture isn't firm and cuttable prior to cooking. You'll need something with large holes to push it through and it'll fall into the boilong water by its own weight - maybe you have a collander or something lying around. They make toys for spätzle like http://kitchenadventures.co.nz/produ...spaz-nd-ac.jpg or http://www.meilleurduchef.com/mdc/ph...menager_gd.jpg

As an aside, lemon thyme leaves in spätzle works rather well with pork and chicken. It's a really bright fresh taste.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Executive Chef

"What we had was a soup"

You got me on that one. My sauce can be a bit loose ( depending on what errors I've made ), but certainly not a soup.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Yeah I would call it a soup. It was mostly tasteless(..oops, did I say that?) liquid with chicken and noodles. Maybe they just make it really thin?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Chicken paprikash is a chicken stew with a paprika based sauce or gravy. It would contain both sweet and hot paprikas.

I usually serve it over spaetzle.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Chicken paprikash is a chicken stew with a paprika based sauce or gravy. It would contain both sweet and hot paprikas.

I usually serve it over spaetzle.
Ah perfect, this sounds like what I am looking for. Do you have a recipe?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Senior Cook

As was stated previously, chicken paprikash is a chicken stew, not a soup. At the end of cooking, a flour, sour cream mixture is added and just warmed up.
I always serve my paprikash with spaetzle.

Tags
None