Chicken soup challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
It's that time of year again. Shorter days frosts and we all know that means ''tis the season to get that soup pot bubbling away a little more often.

There is 2 months left this year (9weeks). So what I purpose is anyone that wants to join in can be a big help.

My challenge is everyone submit there best chicken soup recipe and each week I will pick one out of the list and we can all try to make it compare notes and thoughts and learn tricks to go along.

Today I'm doing chicken vegi soup.

Roasting my chicken with sweet and sour sauce, rosemary, oregano, parsley at 350

Chopped and roast veg separately.
Acorn squash peeled
Onion chopped
Carrots
Celery
Red potatoes
Garlic
Red pepper
Can of tomatoes
More spices same as above

I'll let veg and chicken stand when done then chop a breast into the veg and add roasting juices too off with an extra box of chicken broth. I'm leaving this in a roasting pan to reheat in the oven again and again.

If anyone tries it let me know what you think and how to improve it next time

Are you using a bottled sweet and sour sauce or homemade?

And one will assume you are refrigerating the roasting pan between reheats?

also curious as to why you would use a boxed broth when you just roasted a beautiful chicken? Why not add a bit of white wine and water to the roasting pan, baste while roasting and you will have a fantastic sauce/gravy.

The only chicken soup I make is CORN chicken soup. CORN stands for Clear Out the Refrigerator Now. :)

Actually, it's delicious.

First I brown half an onion in chicken fat. After they are golden, I add 2-3 cloves of garlic and whatever needs to go in my fridge, usually carrots, celery, or spinach. Sometimes all three! Last week I added kale and it was delicious. I cook until the vegetables are wilted or soft.

I add the cut up chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken.

Then I add two cans of Progresso Chicken soup (or 2 cups of homemade chicken broth). And I let it simmer for 1 hour.

Salt and pepper as I go.

Delicious! So easy and versatile. Endless variations, you can add rice, pasta, bacon, or whatever bits and pieces you want to clear out of the fridge.

Last edited:
I did cheat this time and use a jar of sauce. I thought my chicken was going to be dryer so I do use my broth but my aim was to make it Go a bit further however it turned out juicer than I thought so the extra broth was not needed

I really hate to see people say they "cheated" because they used something that is not homemade. Not everything has to be all the time. We don't live in the 18th century, you know ;)

(Someone will point out some common ingredient that was not homemade then in 3, 2, 1...)

Won't be me! :LOL: I have nothing against using pre-made ingredients. Swanson chicken broth is my friend. :)

Kathy-Lee....I love that CORN acronym!

Kevin, this is a great idea for a thread. I'm kind of in Kathy-Lee's camp in that chicken soup is usually something I make from leftover chicken and things from the veggie drawer that need to be used up - not sure I've ever made chicken soup on purpose and I sure don't have a specific recipe. :) But I'll be watching here with interest. :chef:

Last edited:
Clarissa Hyman's Chicken Soup

When it comes to symbols, this is the mother icon of the Jewish Kitchen, Clarissa's book. (She and I were at University together, and have been close friends ever since. Her mother was the Yidisha Momma of all Yidisha Momma's, wonderful sense of humour, the very essence of kindness and humour). Here's the recipe:

Clarissa says:

'I promised myself never to say the words 'Jewish Penicillin', except to say that its virtues were even recognized by Maimonides, who regarded it as 'beneficial for the feeble-bodied' centuries before it was SCIENTIFICALLY proven to cure all ills.
Golden chicken soup, the colour of prosperity, unites all parts of the Jewish world, especially on Friday nights, but variations on the theme are simply endless. Everyone has their own trick to put a little 'neshome' (soul) into the soup: onion skins, saffron, tomato, garlic, dill, a pinch of sugar maybe or maybe, yes, even a stock cube. You could debate ingredients, technique or desired colour till Moshiach (The Messiah) comes, not to mention the garnishes, of which the three types at the end of the soup recipe are but a part:

1 large Kosher hen or boiling fowl, with all neck, gizzard, feet etc. you can lay your hands on. (small roasters just don't work the same). Kosher fowl, salted to remove the blood, also make for clearer broth and better flavour. I you want to kosher your own boiling fowl, this is how to do it: make up a mix of Kosher salt and water, 1 tbsp per pint of tepid water, and immerse the fowl in it for exactly 20 minutes, then rinse and dry.
A small piece of kosher beef brisket (beef from the front underside of the animal). How much exactly is the secret to making this soup your very own!
2-3 tsp Kosher salt and a few black peppercorns
2.5 litres / 4 1/2 pints cold water, 1 LARGE golden onion, skin left on and quartered
1 large carrot, thickly sliced
1 celery stick, chopped
2 bay leaves.

Wash the chicken thoroughly (and the beef as well if it's not Kosher), then place in a large pan and cover with the water. Bring slowly to the boil and skim well. Reduce the heat.
Add the resto of the ingredients, cover the pan and simmer for a goo three hours. Strain off the liquid, leave to cool overnight. Reserve the carrots, and skim any fat off completely so you have a crystal clear soup.
Bring the soup back to the boil, with the carrots in, and serve with knaidlach (matzo dumplings) lokshen (egg noodle dumplings) or Mandlen (Russian kosher dumplings).

Now THAT is good. Thanks to Mrs Hyman!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'll try to remember what I use in tonight's version of chicken soup. I will be swiping some of the dried veggies Mom and Dad have. This is my test to see if they are worth buying.

I always through my chicken carcasses in the freezer - home cooked and rotisserie - until I have a bunch then I make stock. I used it for our soup and for our dog Violet to mix with her liquid medicine. It is the easiest way to get it in her and she loves the little "soup appetizer" LOL

For my chicken soup, I kind of go Kathy-Lee's way as well. Though everyone seems to love my curried chicken corn chowder. (this one is real corn, not the acronym though I love that!)

Saute diced onion (2 small or one medium) and celery (2 or three stocks), minced garlic and chopped bacon in a large soup pot until the onion and celery are soft and the bacon is cooked but not crisp. Add about a cup of chicken stock and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot (deglaze). add 2 or three medium potatoes peeled and cut into small dice. Add more chicken stock to cover and 1 - 2 tsp of curry powder or to taste. Simmer until the potato is tender. Add 1 - 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (rotisserie is great here), salt, pepper and 2 cups of milk. Turn heat down and heat through, stirring so it doesn't burn on the bottom. Adjust curry and other seasonings as needed.

I sometimes add a little cumin and/or coriander. Another nice touch is fresh parsley when serving.

My measurements are very rough because I just eyeball everything and adjust to taste.

This was a favourite on my catering menu.

My mom used to make this soup for us. Now I make it. It's simple and quick.

2 C Chicken Stock
2 Oz Angel Hair Pasta or Vermicelli
1 Egg
½ Lemon Juice
salt and pepper.

Bring the stock to a boil. Break the pasta into 1"-2" pieces and add it to the stock. Simmer until the pasta is cooked.

Separately combine the egg and lemon juice and whisk to combine.

When the pasta is cooked. Slowly add a small amount of the hot soup to the egg, whisking constantly. Continue to add the soup gradually to the egg whisking all the time until they are fully combined. Season to taste.

My mom used to make this soup for us. Now I make it. It's simple and quick.

2 C Chicken Stock
2 Oz Angel Hair Pasta or Vermicelli
1 Egg
½ Lemon Juice
salt and pepper.

Bring the stock to a boil. Break the pasta into 1"-2" pieces and add it to the stock. Simmer until the pasta is cooked.

Separately combine the egg and lemon juice and whisk to combine.

When the pasta is cooked. Slowly add a small amount of the hot soup to the egg, whisking constantly. Continue to add the soup gradually to the egg whisking all the time until they are fully combined. Season to taste.

Andy, are we tempering the egg and then add that to the hot stock? Curious minds need to know. Thank you!

Gotcha, whisk in a bowl the same size as the pan you used. This sounds sooooo good. I love chicken lemon soup.

Another question....is that the juice of half a lemon?

Andy, that's Middle Eastern Avgolemono (chicken and lemon soup) isn't it? Haven't had that for years! I'd forgotten all about it, but it's a lovely soup! I'm going to do some tonight, it's very, very good!

di reston

Gotcha, whisk in a bowl the same size as the pan you used. This sounds sooooo good. I love chicken lemon soup.

Another question....is that the juice of half a lemon?

Yes it is. How much you use is adjustable to taste. My eldest like a lot more lemon than I do. That's just my recipe shorthand.

Andy, that's Middle Eastern Avgolemono (chicken and lemon soup) isn't it? Haven't had that for years! I'd forgotten all about it, but it's a lovely soup! I'm going to do some tonight, it's very, very good!

di reston

Yes it is. The Greeks made it famous but don't have a monopoly on it.

Unfortunately for me, I am not a fan of white chicken meat. So I have stopped making chicken soup now that the kids are gone. I know, I could use just legs and thighs, but I would rather have them roasted.

When it comes to symbols, this is the mother icon of the Jewish Kitchen, Clarissa's book. (She and I were at University together, and have been close friends ever since. Her mother was the Yidisha Momma of all Yidisha Momma's, wonderful sense of humour, the very essence of kindness and humour). Here's the recipe:

Clarissa says:

'I promised myself never to say the words 'Jewish Penicillin', except to say that its virtues were even recognized by Maimonides, who regarded it as 'beneficial for the feeble-bodied' centuries before it was SCIENTIFICALLY proven to cure all ills.
Golden chicken soup, the colour of prosperity, unites all parts of the Jewish world, especially on Friday nights, but variations on the theme are simply endless. Everyone has their own trick to put a little 'neshome' (soul) into the soup: onion skins, saffron, tomato, garlic, dill, a pinch of sugar maybe or maybe, yes, even a stock cube. You could debate ingredients, technique or desired colour till Moshiach (The Messiah) comes, not to mention the garnishes, of which the three types at the end of the soup recipe are but a part:

1 large Kosher hen or boiling fowl, with all neck, gizzard, feet etc. you can lay your hands on. (small roasters just don't work the same). Kosher fowl, salted to remove the blood, also make for clearer broth and better flavour. I you want to kosher your own boiling fowl, this is how to do it: make up a mix of Kosher salt and water, 1 tbsp per pint of tepid water, and immerse the fowl in it for exactly 20 minutes, then rinse and dry.
A small piece of kosher beef brisket (beef from the front underside of the animal). How much exactly is the secret to making this soup your very own!
2-3 tsp Kosher salt and a few black peppercorns
2.5 litres / 4 1/2 pints cold water, 1 LARGE golden onion, skin left on and quartered
1 large carrot, thickly sliced
1 celery stick, chopped
2 bay leaves.

Wash the chicken thoroughly (and the beef as well if it's not Kosher), then place in a large pan and cover with the water. Bring slowly to the boil and skim well. Reduce the heat.
Add the resto of the ingredients, cover the pan and simmer for a goo three hours. Strain off the liquid, leave to cool overnight. Reserve the carrots, and skim any fat off completely so you have a crystal clear soup.
Bring the soup back to the boil, with the carrots in, and serve with knaidlach (matzo dumplings) lokshen (egg noodle dumplings) or Mandlen (Russian kosher dumplings).

Now THAT is good. Thanks to Mrs Hyman!

di reston

Now, I keep kosher and I for sure believe that chicken soup is in fact Jewish penicillin.
Never ever would I consider using onion with skin on phhe... ech...
Most importantly I have cooked both kosher and non kosher chicken. Kosher chicken doesn't come close to a good plain stewing han, no gizzards (have no idea where she even found kosher chicken with gizzards, or feet for that matter, those are impossible to find in kosher) and for sure no white meat. And bay leaves? Bay leaves in chicken soup? I'm sorry this is travesty.

P.S. had to look her up, well maybe in England they sell chicken feet. Here in the States they don't. I think it is not even allowed. Near by kosher plant sends all the chicken feet they process to Israel because of that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom