Chicken Soup with Spaetzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I'm making a large roaster of chicken soup with spaetzle (sorry if the spelling is off).
The other day I cooked 2 chickens in the roaster to make broth, cooled it and removed the fat from the top. Took the chicken off the bone to go back in the broth, removed the bone and skin.

Added:
Carrots
Broccoli
Onions
Celery
Sage
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

And in a few hours I'll make spaetzle with flour, water, eggs, nutmeg, salt and press it through a strainer and cook for another hour.

What am I missing to make it even better? Thank you as always, ~Bliss

Sounds wonderful Bliss, and I love spatzle !!

For a large batch of soup like that, I use the juice of a fresh whole lemon at the end.....it does wonderful things to the whole of it. It just "freshens" the whole pot I guess. The difference is so simple and makes you go......hummm. Enjoy!

By the way, I live in a valley that's called "The Citrus Capital of the World"........
I'll toss ya a lemon

Last edited:
hopefully I'm reading wrong - but you don't want to boil/simmer fresh spaetzle for an hour....

Sounds wonderful Bliss, and I love spatzle !!

For a large batch of soup like that, I use the juice of a fresh whole lemon at the end.....it does wonderful things to the whole of it. It just "freshens" the whole pot I guess. The difference is so simple and makes you go......hummm. Enjoy!

By the way, I live in a valley that's called "The Citrus Capital of the World"........
I'll toss ya a lemon

Do you do this to all soups? I've never heard of this.
Not cream soups I'll guess...

Do you do this to all soups? I've never heard of this.
Not cream soups I'll guess...

No, not all soups Pac, but it's really effective for any chicken or pork soup/stew. I must have lemon over Menudo or Pesole for example. Give it a go.....I bet you'd like it.
You could remove a test portion to a bowl and squeeze a little lemon over it to see how you like it.
Like I said, I think it "brightens" the whole.

Thanks for the tip, Kay.
As someone who cooks for one, brightening up a little leftover soup is right up my alley. I'm going to give it a go the next chicken soup I make.

Yes, I'm boiling the spaetzle for an hour now.

I'll add some lemon once that part is done, great idea Kayelle.
Then it needs to cool for an hour or so and then I will package it up in quarts for the freezer. Everyone around here likes it.

Kayelle, the lemon really did brighten up the soup, it was excellent.
Reminded me of the Greek Avgolomono (sp?) soup a little.
I'll add lemon to my chicken soups from now on, it was yummy.

Kayelle, the lemon really did brighten up the soup, it was excellent.
Reminded me of the Greek Avgolomono (sp?) soup a little.
I'll add lemon to my chicken soups from now on, it was yummy.

:flowers: Thanks for the report Bliss, and I'm so glad you liked the addition. Sometime you might want to try this recipe I developed last year. It's kinda like "over the top" Avgolemono soup.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f51/greek-meatballs-in-asparagus-lemon-sauce-68709.html

How in blazes did I miss this thread before? Thanks for the tip Kayelle, and the new recipe. That goes in the repertoire for trying later this week.

Back
Top Bottom