Chicken stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris629

Cook
Chicken stock?

How do you make your chicken stock?
I know there are times that I could but am not sure exactly how to do it?
I know with Turkey all the drippings are great for turkey stock but when is a good time to get it from Chicken?
Thanks for suggestions etc.

this is the one I use...

Chicken Stock Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Yield: 5 quarts

4 pounds chicken carcasses, including necks and backs
1 large onion, quartered
4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2
4 ribs celery, cut in 1/2
1 leek, white part only, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
10 sprigs fresh thyme
10 sprigs fresh parsley with stems
2 bay leaves
8 to 10 peppercorns
2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 gallons cold water

Place chicken, vegetables, and herbs and spices in 12-quart stockpot.
Set opened steamer basket directly on ingredients in pot and pour over water. Cook on high heat until you begin to see bubbles break through the surface of the liquid. Turn heat down to medium low so that stock maintains low, gentle simmer. Skim the scum from the stock with a spoon or fine mesh strainer every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking and twice each hour for the next 2 hours. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours.
Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids. Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water to below 40 degrees. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat from surface of liquid and store in container with lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months. Prior to use, bring to boil for 2 minutes. Use as a base for soups and sauces.

Good Luck!

My stock is similar, but without all of the herbs that AB uses. I normaly add simply salt, and a bit of sage, but just a small bit. And I break the bones to insure all of the nutrients from the marrow, and the flavor gets into the soup. The addition of root veggies, cush as celery root will also help extract the nutrients. My stock always cools into a solid jell and is ready to be used in whatever dish I may need it for (hence the lack of seasoning during the initial cooking. It will be seasoned for the particualr dish, be it egg-drop soup, hot & sour soup, chicken and dumplings, gravy, rice boiuling liquid, etc.).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North[/i]

goodweed, the next time you make stock, can i bring my parrots over? this way, the next time they curse in front of or poop on company, i'll just whisper "don't make me call goodweed"

buckytom said:
goodweed, the next time you make stock, can i bring my parrots over? this way, the next time they curse in front of or poop on company, i'll just whisper "don't make me call goodweed"

LOL. Bring 'em! I'll whack up a chicken carcass right in front of them, and with a maniacle grin plastered on my face. Muhwahahahahaha. :D

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, you always add just a little different thought to the recipes. I like that. Bet Bucky makes you wonder doesn't he? Glad you're around, keep on keepin' on!

Bucky tickles my funnybone. Glad he doesn't want to use it for stock, especially after my posts on this thread. ;)

Oh, and you have no idea. For a creative and fun hobby (and hopefully for publication one day), I write science fiction and fantasy novels. Of course this is in between cookbooks, or is it the other way around? In my completed fantasy novel, there is this sorceress who develops an elixer of healing that allows her to torture with no fear of premature death. Seh is very cruel, and the things she (or I as the writer) does to her victims, well, you'd just have to read the story to understand. There is a reason that horror and adventure writers are strange people. We have to go outside what is acceptable to create really evil villains, or vilanesses (is that a word? :D ) If the bad guy weren't absurdly bad, and didn't do the most incredibly mean things, there would be no one to hate in the story. Then, why would you root for the good guy?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You have any books out now? Where do I get your cookbooks? I am glad you agree with me about Bucky. His last post about his birds really was one to appreciate. I am thankful t o make a copy. I know someone who needs it and will be happy to read it. WE all need someone like him. Thanks for response.

Please contact me at "bflowers@nmo.net" I don't sell from this forum. This place is for freinds, not customers. I'll give you more info through email.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom