Chicken Wild Rice Soup - Broth Spice question - in progress!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, so I had a leftover chicken carcass (with one full drumstick and about 1 cup of cut up chicken breast that are reserved for the soup), and a tiny amt of drippings. So I dumped it in a large pot in a colander (for ease of getting tiny bones out), with a handful of sliced carrots, onion, two florets each of slightly chopped cauliflower and broccoli, some black pepper and two bay leaves. Water to cover - about 10 cups.

What else should I put in the broth??? The following is what I have to choose from:

I have fresh & dried sage, fresh & dried oregano, fresh & dried basil, fresh french thyme, a little fresh rosemary, (the rest are in the cupboard) -> tarragon, cumin, cardamom, paprika...

OK, I have more, but getting too irrelevant.

What would you put in knowing it's going to be chicken wild rice soup? And I don't plan on putting cream in the soup - I don't have any right now, just some rice milk that I'm not sure is necessary.

I plan on using kale, carrots, broccoli, onion and cauliflower as veggies in the soup.

Oh, and it's not straight wild rice - it's a cool mix I threw together of basmati, native MN wild rice, purple rice and red rice. Not that it matters, just nummy. =)

Oh, and I haven't put any salt in yet, because I wasn't sure how that affected the absorption rate of the water. I use Himalayan Sea Salt. Should I put it in broth or just wait til soup is going?

Your _sage_ advice? :chef:

Thanks!!!

i like thyme, a bit of sage (a little goes a long way), and rosemary.

Simmer the meat and bones with some onion, celery and carrot, a few peppercorns and a couple of cloves of garlic. When the broth is ready (after two-three hours of simmer), strain out all the bones and veggies. No salt until you season the final soup.

Then go on to make the soup. For herbs and spices, I'd go with thyme and a little cumin.

For color, I put in yellow onion skins, taking them out after the broth is done.

Back
Top Bottom