Chilled Mango Soup laced with rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This is for Alix:flowers:

5 ripe mangoes (I like Haiti mangoes)
1 cup sugar
5 cups chicken stock
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground ginger
2 whole cloves
2 T. rum
1/2 c. whipping cream whipped (optional)
nutmeg for garnish

Peel, seed and chop mangoes. Put the fruit in a heavy saucepan along with the sugar, chicken stock, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Cook over medium heat, skimming any foam from the surface, until the liquid is reduced by about one quarter.

Press the mixture through a seive. (Do not omit this step. I thought I could, and we were picking mango hair like threads from our mouths....I seived halfway through dinner, and it was fine!) Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Just before serving, spoon in the rum. Swirl gently. I liked to leave the ribbon of rum visible.

If desired, spoon the whipped cream on top and sprinkle with nutmeg. I didn't do the cream, but did the nutmeg.

This was positively the best cold fruit soup I've ever had. I had some left over, and used it the following week, warmed, as a sauce over chicken and polenta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Vera! I will have to go scout out some mangos now. I'm not sure if I can get any good ones right now (danged prairies!) but I will check it out.

This looks like a lovely starter for a hot day.

VB, copied and saved. Interesting combo of ingredients, i.e. the rum and mangos in a cold soup. I like cold peach soup, so this will be on my list to give a try. Thank you. Sounds delish. The whipping cream sounds lovely - what do you think about mascarpone? What kind of rum do you suggest? TIA.

Last edited:
mish said:
VB, copied and saved. Interesting combo of ingredients, i.e. the rum and mangos in a cold soup. I like cold peach soup, so this will be on my list to give a try. Thank you. Sounds delish. The whipping cream sounds lovely - what do you think about mascarpone? What kind of rum do you suggest? TIA.

I used Gossling rum, it's a very dark bermuda rum. If I did the mascarpone, I'd thin it cream to be able to swirl it through the soup. Typically, mascarpone is thick and heavy.

Care to share your peach soup? I just picked up a dozen from a farm...

Oooooh, thank you. I have been drooling ever since I saw you mention this, and its getting rather unattractive.

It sounds truly wonderful.

Where has my post gone?

Oh well,

I was just saying how happy I am, and that I have wanted to try this since I first saw you mention it the other day. I would give you karma, only it says I need to give it to other people before you again, lol. I guess I just love you cooking VB!

I cannot wait to try it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom