Chilled pear soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptcruiser30

Assistant Cook
I AM LOOKING FOR A CHILLED PEAR SOUP THAT I HAD ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE SHIP. It WAS VERY TASTY AND WOULD LIKE TO KN OW IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME ?:chef:

I hope this is what you're looking for. Of course I have no way of knowing what was in the soup you had on the cruise ship, but this is a pretty good recipe.

Chilled Pear Soup with Port

Chilled_Pear_Soup.jpg
Servings: 6 Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup tawny port
1/3 cup granulated sugar or Splenda
Zest from 1/2 navel orange
3 black peppercorns
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps. anise seeds
6 medium, firm but ripe bartlett pears*, peeled, halved, cored and quartered
12 gingersnap cookies, or thin shortbread biscuits

For Garnish:
Fresh Raspberries or strawberries
Mint Sprigs

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients except the pears and gingersnaps (or shortbread biscuits, if using) in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 6 or 7 minutes . Add pear quarters and gently simmer until tender but not mushy (about 20 to 25 minutes). Remove from heat. With a slotted spoon, remove pears from liquid and set aside. Strain poaching liquid and throw spices away. Place the poaching liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling over medium heat until reduced by about 1/3. Pour liquid into a medium container and add pears. Set aside. When at room temperature, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to one day.

About 1 hour before serving, remove from refrigerator. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and place in a food processor or blender (with a blender, you may have to work in batches). Pour approximately 1/2 cup of the poaching liquid into the pears. Puree until the pears are smooth, with no visible chunks. Add more poaching liquid until desired consistency is reached. Return to the refrigerator until chilled.

When ready to serve, pour chilled pear soup into goblets or pretty dessert bowls or attractive dessert cups. Serve gingersnap cookies (or shortbread biscuits) alongside soup or roughly crumble and sprinkle on top. Garnish with fresh raspberries, strawberries and mint sprig (optional).

Makes 6 servings.

Note: If Bartlett pears are not available, substitute with any other sweet juicy pear, such as Bosc or Red Sensation.
Make sure you use pears that are not going to become to mushy while cooking.

Dear PTCruiser:
I am looking for the same Chilled Pear Soup Recipe! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I tasted the soup on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas last week! Have you tried the Chilled Pear Soup with Port? I am allergic to red wines so that recipe won't work for me. Did you ever find the Royal Caribbean recipe?
Regards,
FruitSoupFan

Pear Soup

I also had the pear soup, but on Royal Carribeans Empress of the Seas. It was so awsome. I believe it was pear and berry soup, but can't remember if it was cranberry or raspberry. Can anyone help me with this, I would love to make it for my Thanksgiving Dinner.

Soup?

I would call it pear puree.....aka baby food, lol, but on the ship it was listed as a soup, and it worked very well:rolleyes:

So was it serve as the first course then? I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this, as this is not the first time I see this things called soup. To me it just doesn't make any sence. It is sweet, so it should be called a desrt.

soup

Yep, right up there with the french onion and lobster bisque. I thought somehow it would be warm, but it was chilled. Definately pureed. Must have something to be called a soup, probably because it was cooked at one time.

I've been searching for the Pear Soup after last RC cruise too. A lady in our group told me after we got back (my luck) that there was a ship's cookbook available on board. She didn't buy it because she only wanted 1 recipe. Still looking for this recipe.

Has anyone found this Chilled Pear Soup recipe?

I would love to find this recipe...has anyone had any luck finding it?

You could just try experimenting with some pear pulp and wine, vanilla pod, bit of sugar, simmer down for a bit, remove pod and chill, stir in some cream before serving. Or play with that or a chilled melon recipe to get the effect you want. I can't remember if it was meant to be a sweet or savoury soup.

Yum! I like the idea of having vanilla bean in there! I'll have to try my luck with this one! Thank you!

Oh thats embarrassing...I forgot that my username was in fact "VanillaBean." I must come clean...I've been craving a bowl of Vanilla Bean ice cream all day (if you've every had the Tillamook brand, it's the absolute best)!

I kid you not, I saw this on the internet just this morning! I've not been on a cruise yet, but when I saw this I decided to include it in the menu for an August tea party I am planning. The blogger said she simply mixed equal amounts of Goya and Kern pear nectars together! If you are looking to add additional flavors go ahead, the vanilla bean sounds like a superb touch ~ chill the nectars with it overnight? and then I'd garnish with a few berries. Hope this helps.

You could just try experimenting with some pear pulp and wine, vanilla pod, bit of sugar, simmer down for a bit, remove pod and chill, stir in some cream before serving. Or play with that or a chilled melon recipe to get the effect you want. I can't remember if it was meant to be a sweet or savoury soup.

I don't know... I think you could make this as a great desert

server over vanilla ice cream or freeze into a sorbet..

Heat until it's a little thicker, add cinnamon and pour over baked apples or pears then serve with ice cream......

I'm also looking for a recipe for the Royal Caribbean Chilled Pear Soup - I was on the Monarch of the Seas.
It was a chilled soup, first course. And it had some dried cranberries that were soaked in the soup and cut the sweetness a bit.
Wonderful soup - I don't think that it had any cream base and all I see on the internet are with a base of cream plus pears - WISH I COULD GET HOLD OF THIS RECIPE!
Anyone attempted it on their own let me know!

I didn't look at the recipe book - but I know someone who's going on the same ship next week and I'll ask her to look through the book to see if she can find it - if she does, I'll have her buy it and bring it back to me!

Back
Top Bottom