"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chilled pear soup

I AM LOOKING FOR A CHILLED PEAR SOUP THAT I HAD ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE SHIP. It WAS VERY TASTY AND WOULD LIKE TO KN OW IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME ?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I hope this is what you're looking for. Of course I have no way of knowing what was in the soup you had on the cruise ship, but this is a pretty good recipe.

Chilled Pear Soup with Port

Servings: 6 Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup tawny port
1/3 cup granulated sugar or Splenda
Zest from 1/2 navel orange
3 black peppercorns
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps. anise seeds
6 medium, firm but ripe bartlett pears*, peeled, halved, cored and quartered
12 gingersnap cookies, or thin shortbread biscuits

For Garnish:
Fresh Raspberries or strawberries
Mint Sprigs

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients except the pears and gingersnaps (or shortbread biscuits, if using) in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 6 or 7 minutes . Add pear quarters and gently simmer until tender but not mushy (about 20 to 25 minutes). Remove from heat. With a slotted spoon, remove pears from liquid and set aside. Strain poaching liquid and throw spices away. Place the poaching liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling over medium heat until reduced by about 1/3. Pour liquid into a medium container and add pears. Set aside. When at room temperature, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to one day.

About 1 hour before serving, remove from refrigerator. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and place in a food processor or blender (with a blender, you may have to work in batches). Pour approximately 1/2 cup of the poaching liquid into the pears. Puree until the pears are smooth, with no visible chunks. Add more poaching liquid until desired consistency is reached. Return to the refrigerator until chilled.

When ready to serve, pour chilled pear soup into goblets or pretty dessert bowls or attractive dessert cups. Serve gingersnap cookies (or shortbread biscuits) alongside soup or roughly crumble and sprinkle on top. Garnish with fresh raspberries, strawberries and mint sprig (optional).

Makes 6 servings.

Note: If Bartlett pears are not available, substitute with any other sweet juicy pear, such as Bosc or Red Sensation.
Make sure you use pears that are not going to become to mushy while cooking.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Dear PTCruiser:
I am looking for the same Chilled Pear Soup Recipe! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I tasted the soup on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas last week! Have you tried the Chilled Pear Soup with Port? I am allergic to red wines so that recipe won't work for me. Did you ever find the Royal Caribbean recipe?
Regards,
FruitSoupFan
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Pear Soup

I also had the pear soup, but on Royal Carribeans Empress of the Seas. It was so awsome. I believe it was pear and berry soup, but can't remember if it was cranberry or raspberry. Can anyone help me with this, I would love to make it for my Thanksgiving Dinner.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

Why is it called soup? Isn't it a desert? My English fails in this situation.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Soup?

I would call it pear puree.....aka baby food, lol, but on the ship it was listed as a soup, and it worked very well
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

So was it serve as the first course then? I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this, as this is not the first time I see this things called soup. To me it just doesn't make any sence. It is sweet, so it should be called a desrt.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

soup

Yep, right up there with the french onion and lobster bisque. I thought somehow it would be warm, but it was chilled. Definately pureed. Must have something to be called a soup, probably because it was cooked at one time.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

iI need to go back and work on my English more.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I've been searching for the Pear Soup after last RC cruise too. A lady in our group told me after we got back (my luck) that there was a ship's cookbook available on board. She didn't buy it because she only wanted 1 recipe. Still looking for this recipe.

Tags
None