Chinese Hot And Sour Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I was asked for this recipe on a past "What's For Dinner" thread here, so here goes. This is only one of several variations of this soup that I regularly make, this one being a meatless version (except for the broth). One could make it a completely vegetarian soup by subbing vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

Hot And Sour Soup (adapted from The Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo)

Ingredients:

6 dried black Chinese or shitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water until soft
Approx. 2 tablespoons of dried wood ear mushrooms, soaked in hot water until soft
Approx 15 dried "Golden Needles" (aka dried tiger lily buds), soaked in hot water until soft
1 small can sliced bamboo shoots
1 square fresh extra-firm or firm bean curd, cut into small cubes
1 stalk of bok choy, washed & roughly chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons light (Japanese) soy sauce
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Approx. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese chili/garlic paste
Approx. 1 tablespoon "hot" or "chili" sesame oil
2 cartons Swanson's chicken broth
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water

Prep:

Drain & rinse dried presoaked black mushrooms, destem & slice thinly. Drain & rinse dried presoaked wood ear mushrooms, remove & discard any tough ends (aka "eyes"), & make sure all pieces are bite-size, or cut accordingly. Drain & rinse dried presoaked "Golden Needles" & tie a simple knot in the center of each one (makes them much easier to eat).

Cooking:

Bring the broth to a boil & add the black mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms, "Golden Needles", bok choy, & bamboo shoots. Reduce heat to a simmer & gently stir in the bean curd, along with the soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, chili/garlic paste, & hot sesame oil. Add the beaten egg, & the stir gently while everything continues to simmer, so that the egg turns to shreds - like you'd see in Egg Drop Soup. Raise heat slightly & stir in cornstarch/water mixture until mixture begins to thicken.

Stir in chopped scallion & serve.

(Keep in mind that this soup is supposed to be both "hot" (as in spicy) & "sour" (as in vinegary). However, you might wish to cut back on the spices & vinegar & taste as you go. I like my hot & sour soup definitely HOT & SOUR, but others might prefer it milder or even hotter.)

Arggh - just realized I left the "Sour" out of the title, which I guess I can't change. Maybe an Admin can help me out?)

Last edited:
I make this soup, too, but add sliced fresh mushrooms and a can of straw mushrooms, too. When the soup is done but still simmering, I slide in cubes of raw pork loin and poach them gently for about 5 minutes, till done but tender.

Serve in large bowls over cooked Chinese noodles. GREAT winter meal!

I will look for Golden Needles in my Asian supermarket, Breezy. Do they have a flavor, or more texture than taste?

Lee

More texture than taste - just like the "wood ears". But interesting nonetheless. Most Asian markets carry them, & they're nice to have on hand to toss into Asian soups.

Kitchenelf - you are TOO FUNNY - lol!!!!! The 2 of us were like Laurel & Hardy with that title - LOL!!!!

Thanks again for correcting it for me!

Thanks for the recipe Breezy. I can't wait to try this. Tried to send you a PM, but it said it was full. LOL

This sounds like a good recipe. I'm hungry for it, well I'm always hungry for good Hot and Sour soup.

Babyhuggies - the above recipe keeps very well for several days in the fridge. My husband isn't a big hot & sour soup fan, so usually has it the first time I make it, & then all the leftovers are mine for lunch during the week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom