Chinese Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
In a small mixing bowl combine 1 Tab. dry sherry,2 Tab. soy sauce,and 1 Tab. cornstarch. Mix well amd then add 1/2 lb finely shredded lean pork stir well to coat meat. In a 6-8 qt.dutch oven heat 2 Tab. veggie oil over med heat.quickly brown the meat mixture for about 7 min. Add 6 cups of chicken stock or broth then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 min. Add 4 green onions both green and white sliced,1 peeled and diced cucumber, salt and pepper to taste,Simmer 5 min more raise heat bring to a fast boil. meanwhile in a small bowl beat 1 egg well and set aside. Remove pot of soup from heat add the egg stirring constantly so egg will turn into cooked shreds. Ladle your soup into pretty bowls and serve immediately.
Enjoy
great with any Chinese dinner
kades

Last edited:
Kades, if you slice the raw pork into thin, half inch strips, place it into your marinade, and poach it until it's just cooked through, in either hot, but not boiling water, or 320' oil, you are using an Asian technique called velvetizing. The meat comes out super tender, and moist. You then set it aside and make the soup, stir fry, or whatever you want to use the meat in. The technique also works with chicken, beef, basically any meat.

For the egg-drop soup, if you drizzle the beaten egg into the broth, pouring it as you move the pouring vessel, you get longer, more delicate egg strands. Stirring while adding the egg tends to break up the egg strands before they set completely.

I'm not being critical, just adding to the great recipe and technique you provided.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Kades, if you slice the raw pork into thin, half inch strips, place it into your marinade, and poach it until it's just cooked through, in either hot, but not boiling water, or 320' oil, you are using an Asian technique called velvetizing. The meat comes out super tender, and moist. You then set it aside and make the soup, stir fry, or whatever you want to use the meat in. The technique also works with chicken, beef, basically any meat.

For the egg-drop soup, if you drizzle the beaten egg into the broth, pouring it as you move the pouring vessel, you get longer, more delicate egg strands. Stirring while adding the egg tends to break up the egg strands before they set completely.

I'm not being critical, just adding to the great recipe and technique you provided.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North
Of course your not being critical, you never are. You are always kind and helpful and I thank you for it. I'll remember what you've said and try it the next time I make this soup. Thank you
kades (ma)

Ma, here is a good video on velveting beef, can be used for other meats, too!

Beef with Broccoli - YouTube

P.F., I was taught that if the oil is hot enough to make the food sizzle, then it is too hot. That sizzling is caused my water leaving the meat, and reacting with the hot oil. The cooking done when he first puts the meat in, is perfect. It cooks the meat gently, without forcing any of the liquid out, resulting in more juicy and tender meat. The meat shout be moved when the cornstarch coating turns opaque.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
P.F., I was taught that if the oil is hot enough to make the food sizzle, then it is too hot. That sizzling is caused my water leaving the meat, and reacting with the hot oil. The cooking done when he first puts the meat in, is perfect. It cooks the meat gently, without forcing any of the liquid out, resulting in more juicy and tender meat. The meat shout be moved when the cornstarch coating turns opaque.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was happy to find this technique and learn from it. My Asian dishes are coming out better looking and the meat nice and tender.

Can I assumed that by cornstarch you mean what we Brits will ref to as cornflour?

In a small mixing bowl combine 1 Tab. dry sherry,2 Tab. soy sauce,and 1 Tab. cornstarch. Mix well amd then add 1/2 lb finely shredded lean pork stir well to coat meat. In a 6-8 qt.dutch oven heat 2 Tab. veggie oil over med heat.quickly brown the meat mixture for about 7 min. Add the chicken stock or broth then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 min. Add 4 green onions both green and white sliced,1 peeled and diced cucumber, salt and pepper to taste,Simmer 5 min more raise heat bring to a fast boil. meanwhile in a small bowl beat 1 egg well and set aside. Remove pot of soup from heat add the egg stirring constantly so egg will turn into cooked shreds. Ladle your soup into pretty bowls and serve immediately.
Enjoy
great with any Chinese dinner
kades

How much stock or broth?

Back
Top Bottom