"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Master Chef

Well, you might be able to cut ingredients in half but not time. Just use the beef powder soup to taste, bring water to boil add soup powder and taste. If you sautte onion in butter before cooking it will give a lot of flavor. I too keep kosher and That's what I do.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
Executive Chef

if you cram a slow cooker with mandolin sliced onions, cook them for about 12 hrs the onion turns into into goop with a very concentrated flavor. To make soup the flavor is better with beef stock but its ok without which means you can use cheese.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Onion Soup: Which cheese varieties do you prefer ?

@ Bolas,

Which cheeses do you prefer for onion soup ?

" The Vet " and I are in Porto, Portugal ... phenomenal small city ...
Have nice wkend.
MC.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Cheese

Well Kosher I can only use Swiss since i can't really find gruyere kosher.

UPDATE: I made it last week for Valentine's day for my wife and she loved it! I ate it once at a place called Lefty's in upstate ny(before i knew there was beef broth in it) and the taste was 1:1 the same. I cooked the 2.5 lbs onions for a hour and 15 min. then added 3 cubes of the beef cubes to 6 cups of water, boiled it. to the onions i added paprika bay leaf and black pepper. I added the liquid , reserved some mixed with wondra, added that then let it sit half covered over low fire for 45 mins(as was 920 already).

In the end i added the italian bread/some swiss , oven to broil and it came out Great! i can post some pictures as well if i can figure out how to.

The only change i would do is cut the onions after thin mandolining in 1/2 so that they werent so big in the soup?

Question: I was correct to leave the pot 1/2 covered right, so the soup didnt evaporate, it has nothing to do with the onions dispersing or not.

Dave

Tags
cooking, onion, other, soup