Cream based (thick) soups help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Creamed Soup Problem... PLEASE HELP!!

Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum, so I just want to start off by saying Hello to everyone!! I am really looking forward to being an active part of the group!:):flowers:

I do though have a problem, I made Cream of Chicken Soup for the first time (I live near a diner that makes a killer Cream of Chicken Soup, and I am completely addicted to it... I have never had a Cream of Chicken Soup that actually tasted like Home-made Chicken Noodle Soup, without the noodles. It may sound silly, but this stuff is awesome, but its $5.00 a quart, so its getting expensive. So I decided to try a recipe I found online. ~If anyone has a recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup they would like to share I would be honored if you would share it with me!!!) Well... as I was saying I made Cream of Chicken Soup night before last for the first time, the recipe was calling for 7C of stock (I had made my own, mostly because I had to cook the chicken breast, so I figured instead of using a boxed stock or broth, I would add some veggies, Herbs and seasonings and make my own stock) Well, I followed the recipe to the letter with one exception, I was so tired and in extreme pain (after cooking for 6 hours already) that I didn't measure the "stock" when I added it to the rue. (also somehow my veggies and chicken nearly disintegrated by the time I was done cooking it. Anyway, there is the possibility that I added more stock than the recipe called for. I continued to cook the soup, following the directions, added the heavy cream and waited and waited for the soup to become thick.... and it never happened. I read on here that you can make more rue and add it to the soup to fix it, and I did that once, and that didn't work. (I guess it would help if I measured the amount of stock I am dealing with, but unfortunately, I overlooked that part of the recipe.) So here is where I am desperately seeking help!!! I have a HUGE pot of soup, and it is very, very loose. Its not thick at all!!! I even tried refrigerating it to see if that would thicken it some, and yes, while it is cold it is "thicker", but as soon as it is reheated it is back to its watered down consistency. Is it at all possible that any of you would be willing and able to assist me??? I would be ever so sincerely appreciative!! I don't want it to go to waste. One thing I was thinking about doing is making more of Chicken, Celery, Carrots and Onions and the rue, and adding that to my already made soup, but don't know if that would work. I am seriously desperate for the help!!! As I said, I would be ever so sincerely appreciative of any and all assistance and advice I can get here!! Thank You all ever so much!! xoxHugsAndKisses

Italian Bread Soup

japes, I can see how that would work. What's that Italian soup that's mostly stale bread?

Mudbug,

I hope that this helps you out! I happen to have an Italian Cookbook, I searched for you and the only soup that has bread as an Ingredient is "pappa al pomodoro" translated as "Tomato and Bread Soup" the recipe is as follows:

6C Vegetable, chicken or meat broth
1 Lg Onion, Chopped
2 1/2 lb very ripe. soft tomatoes, roughly chopped
8 Tbsp Olive Oil
14 oz Stale, crusty Italian bread, crusts removed and sliced thin
3 Garlic cloves, chopped
A handful of fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1- Heat the broth gently in a large saucepan. While it is warming, heat the olive oil in a seperate saucepan and fry the onion and tomatoes together over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until softened.

2- Push the onion and tomato mixture through a food mill or strainer and add it to the broth, stir thoroughly

3- Add the bread, garlic and basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.

4- Stir in the remaining oil, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, add some more basil and serve either hot or at room temperature.

Serving suggestion: Serve this delicious soup with a traditional Italian Bread.

I really do hope that this is the recipe you were in search of... and if it is not, let me know and I will search more for you!! Please let me know if it was what you wanted, I'd love to know if I was of any help!

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
xoxHugsAndKisses

Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum, so I just want to start off by saying Hello to everyone!! I am really looking forward to being an active part of the group!:):flowers:

I do though have a problem, I made Cream of Chicken Soup for the first time (I live near a diner that makes a killer Cream of Chicken Soup, and I am completely addicted to it... I have never had a Cream of Chicken Soup that actually tasted like Home-made Chicken Noodle Soup, without the noodles. It may sound silly, but this stuff is awesome, but its $5.00 a quart, so its getting expensive. So I decided to try a recipe I found online. ~If anyone has a recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup they would like to share I would be honored if you would share it with me!!!) Well... as I was saying I made Cream of Chicken Soup night before last for the first time, the recipe was calling for 7C of stock (I had made my own, mostly because I had to cook the chicken breast, so I figured instead of using a boxed stock or broth, I would add some veggies, Herbs and seasonings and make my own stock) Well, I followed the recipe to the letter with one exception, I was so tired and in extreme pain (after cooking for 6 hours already) that I didn't measure the "stock" when I added it to the rue. (also somehow my veggies and chicken nearly disintegrated by the time I was done cooking it. Anyway, there is the possibility that I added more stock than the recipe called for. I continued to cook the soup, following the directions, added the heavy cream and waited and waited for the soup to become thick.... and it never happened. I read on here that you can make more rue and add it to the soup to fix it, and I did that once, and that didn't work. (I guess it would help if I measured the amount of stock I am dealing with, but unfortunately, I overlooked that part of the recipe.) So here is where I am desperately seeking help!!! I have a HUGE pot of soup, and it is very, very loose. Its not thick at all!!! I even tried refrigerating it to see if that would thicken it some, and yes, while it is cold it is "thicker", but as soon as it is reheated it is back to its watered down consistency. Is it at all possible that any of you would be willing and able to assist me??? I would be ever so sincerely appreciative!! I don't want it to go to waste. One thing I was thinking about doing is making more of Chicken, Celery, Carrots and Onions and the rue, and adding that to my already made soup, but don't know if that would work. I am seriously desperate for the help!!! As I said, I would be ever so sincerely appreciative of any and all assistance and advice I can get here!! Thank You all ever so much!! xoxHugsAndKisses

Have you tried mixing a little cornstarch with water then add it to the soup ? Cook til thickens. About a tablespoon of cornstarch to 1/2 cup water, mix well, add slowly to soup while stirring the soup. You don't want it to get lumpy.

LadyCook61, Unfortunately I have not tried Corn Starch, see the problem with that is if the measurement equivalent is 1 Tbsp of Corn Starch for each 1/2 C water, there is a big problem.... I didn't measure the "Stock" or "Broth" that I made when I added it to the Rue. I do know that it was A LOT more than the 7 cups that the recipe called for. I was so tired and in so much pain after cooking for 6 hours straight at that point, that I made mistakes. The best one was when I went to drain the "Stock" I put a regular colander on top of a mesh strainer and forgot to put a pot underneath the two of them, so I lost some of the "stock" down the drain...lol Then when I added the flour to the Veggies, (1/2 C + 1 tsp) it got really really thick and goopy, I thought that it was destroying my veggies, so I just started adding in the "stock" I had made and eventually just dumped all of it into the pot with the Veggies. I am proud of myself, because the taste is "spot on!" but I am so disappointed because I know the rules of cooking, and I love to cook so much, but I failed myself when I didn't follow my recipe when I added the "stock" without measuring it. Thank You for the suggestion... I will go out and get some corn starch, and give it a shot. I really appreciate your help! Thanks for taking the time our of your day to reply to my question.
xoxHugsAndKisses

I can relate to being in pain after cooking, that has happened to me as well mostly because I have arthritis in my spine and fused discs in lower spine. I wonder if a rubber mat on the floor would help. I have hardwood floors in my kitchen.
On another note, I used to live near Basking Ridge, live in PA since '89.

LadyCook, I definitely can relate to the back problems, I am disabled because of them. My entire low back is herniated, with constant spasm at the waist with pain radiating across both hips down into both legs to the feet;and that is just the tip of the iceberg... Regarding your first post about the cornstarch, can you explain that to me, and would it effect the flavor of the soup? Is it 1 Tbsp per 1/2c liquid that you are dealing with or do you dissolve 1 Tbsp in 1/2 C cornstarch and repeat until desired thickness is accomplished? I feel like a failure with this soup, I can usually nail a recipe the first attempt, I guess this is just a bit more complicated. I appreciate the help... as far as the rubber mats, I will have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it! Heather

Cream of Chicken Soup: Here's a recipe that will work for you. To make it, we will start with a roux, turn it into a veloute', and then into soup. It will be so creamy and smooth that you just will be astounded by the texture. And yes, this will be easy.

Start with 6 tbs. butter. Heat in your soup pot until melted. Add 6 tbs. all-purpose flour. Whisk until a paste is formed. Keep heat at medium to medium high. Add 1 quart of chicken stock (of course home-made is best, but if you don't have time to make it, "Better Than Boulion" brand chicken soup base is and excellent alternative for making stock), a little at a time, whisking as you add it until all the liquid is absorbed into the sauce and you have the thickness you desire. At this time, you will have a very creamy veloute' with good flavor. You can add cream if you want, but you don't really need it. Turmeric will add great color and flavor, but don't overdo it. If you need to, you can add more stock to thin the soup. just remember, you can always add more liquid, but once it's in the sauce, you can't take it out.

Now, add whatever veggies you like, such as dice or sliced carrot, onion, green onion, celery, garlic, etc, and season with sage &/or thyme, salt & pepper. Slice 2 lbs. boneless chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat 2 tbs. oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the chicken and stir-fry until lightly browned. Add to the soup. Serve hot with a crusty bread.

If you want this to be a very smooth soup, saute the veggies until tender. Remove from heat. Seperate 2 cups of the soup and place in your blender. Add the veggies and blend until very smooth. Pour this back into the soup. Then proceed with the chicken meat as described above.

Let me know how this turns out for you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
LadyCook, I definitely can relate to the back problems, I am disabled because of them. My entire low back is herniated, with constant spasm at the waist with pain radiating across both hips down into both legs to the feet;and that is just the tip of the iceberg... Regarding your first post about the cornstarch, can you explain that to me, and would it effect the flavor of the soup? Is it 1 Tbsp per 1/2c liquid that you are dealing with or do you dissolve 1 Tbsp in 1/2 C cornstarch and repeat until desired thickness is accomplished? I feel like a failure with this soup, I can usually nail a recipe the first attempt, I guess this is just a bit more complicated. I appreciate the help... as far as the rubber mats, I will have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it! Heather

cornstarch shouldn't affect the flavor at all, it is a thickener. We all start somewhere in trying out recipes. Believe me, I have had my share of unsuccessful recipes. ;). I'm sorry you have pain too, certainly not fun is it.
~Diane

Cream of Chicken Soup: Here's a recipe that will work for you. To make it, we will start with a roux, turn it into a veloute', and then into soup. It will be so creamy and smooth that you just will be astounded by the texture. And yes, this will be easy.

Start with 6 tbs. butter. Heat in your soup pot until melted. Add 6 tbs. all-purpose flour. Whisk until a paste is formed. Keep heat at medium to medium high. Add 1 quart of chicken stock (of course home-made is best, but if you don't have time to make it, "Better Than Boulion" brand chicken soup base is and excellent alternative for making stock), a little at a time, whisking as you add it until all the liquid is absorbed into the sauce and you have the thickness you desire. At this time, you will have a very creamy veloute' with good flavor. You can add cream if you want, but you don't really need it. Turmeric will add great color and flavor, but don't overdo it. If you need to, you can add more stock to thin the soup. just remember, you can always add more liquid, but once it's in the sauce, you can't take it out.

Now, add whatever veggies you like, such as dice or sliced carrot, onion, green onion, celery, garlic, etc, and season with sage &/or thyme, salt & pepper. Slice 2 lbs. boneless chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat 2 tbs. oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the chicken and stir-fry until lightly browned. Add to the soup. Serve hot with a crusty bread.

If you want this to be a very smooth soup, saute the veggies until tender. Remove from heat. Seperate 2 cups of the soup and place in your blender. Add the veggies and blend until very smooth. Pour this back into the soup. Then proceed with the chicken meat as described above.

Let me know how this turns out for you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I may try this recipe too, sounds good !

Back
Top Bottom