"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
Head Chef
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Add some wild rice to that asparagus soup.
Would you add it cooked or let it cook in the soup?

Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Good recipe! You can use that same recipe for many other Cream of "Veggie" Soups... Try broccoli, celery, spinach, tomato, etc...
Our creation is taken from a few cookbooks and then adapted to how we thought it should work. The biggest inspiration, though, came from the recipe we have for Cream of Cauliflower soup. Hmmm ... I wonder if it would work for carrots.

Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Is the soup "bright" tasting or more heavy?
Could I add a touch of fresh mint? A take-off of Mint-Pea soup?
I don't think mint would hurt it but it might get lost. It's a little heavier but if you reduced the flour / milk, it might not be. Several recipes we saw called for dill ...

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
Head Chef
I would cook the wild rice separately, because it takes so long. I love wild rice, and put it in everything!!

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #23
Sous Chef
I cheat with cream of asparagus (broccoli, too). I cut the heads off, and chop the stems, then steam, along with a potato. When done, I dump the stems, potato and broth into the Vita-Mix, and add milk and seasonings. Blend it on high for a couple of minutes, then dump it back into the pot I used for steaming (minus the steaming basket), and fold in the steamed tops.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
Head Chef
I LOVE asparagas - unfortunately both DH and me are among the population for whom the consumption of asparagas results in a bodily chemical reaction which is most unpleasant. Anybody have a cure for that? We'd eat it much more often. As a child I remember eating it out of a can and then drinking the juice! (that was a very very long time ago - they either didn't have fresh available readily or my mother didn't buy it). But ****ed the torpedos I'm gonna try this recipe!

Thanks for posting it!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by lindatooo View Post
unfortunately both DH and me are among the population for whom the consumption of asparagas results in a bodily chemical reaction which is most unpleasant.
This actually happens to everyone. It is just that some people can smell it while others can't. As far as I know, there is no cure for it, other than holding your nose.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote