Cream of Asparagus Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
We recently purchased A LOT of IQF asparagus so have been looking for ways to enjoy it. This is what we came up with last night ...

M's Cream of Asparagus Soup
1 lb. asparagus ... cut up
4 cups Chicken Stock

* In dutch oven, simmer until asparagus is very soft
* Reserving 1/3 of the cooked asparagus pieces, blend asparagus and stock in blender until smooth (there will be some texture due simply to the nature of asparagus and it's "outsides")

3 tbl. butter or olive oil
1/2 C. chopped onion
3 tbl. flour
2 cups milk

* In same dutch oven, melt butter and saute onion until just starting to brown (we like the sweet flavor this creates, you could stop at translucent)
* Sprinkle with flour and continue to stir / whisk for 1 minute
* Whisk in milk until thick and bubbly ... This will be very thick as we like thick, thick soup. If you want thinner soup, reduce flour to 2 tbl. or increase milk by 1 cup.

* Stir in asparagus / stock puree and reserved asparagus pieces.
* Salt and pepper to taste

I served it with toast but it would be delicious with a dollop of sour cream and croutons as well.

Enjoy!

Sounds great. If you had the time and the inclination, you could take a vegetable peeler to the asparagus to get rid of that "texture". Personally, I would not bother, but for those who want it very smooth you could do that.

Copied and DH is on the way to the store:LOL: Thank you this looks wonderful
kades

It does sound good.
Is there any way to incorporate the woody ends of asparagus? A while back someone said I should save them and use them for soup. I've got a bag of them in the freezer. It seems like they might be OK for the blended part of the recipe, but maybe not.

It does sound good.
Is there any way to incorporate the woody ends of asparagus? A while back someone said I should save them and use them for soup. I've got a bag of them in the freezer. It seems like they might be OK for the blended part of the recipe, but maybe not.

I would just use them for vegetable stock and then discard.

Thank you everyone ... it was delicious!

Pacanis, the asparagus we have has some woody ends in it. I think that's what created the texture we found in the soup. If you cut them small enough (like less than 1/2 inch long), you'll get rid of some of that. Blending it though, really did get rid of most of it.

What I usually do is cut off the tips/ heads. put them aside. Peel the woody part of the asparagus to get the woodiness off. cut into pieces, boil....and continue with the soup. After blending, if there is still too much of a ' woddy' texture, just strain it out. Then at the very end, I toss the tips back in for a few minutes. I like the cream soup, but I also like to have the tips to eat. I went to a restaurant that also mixed in a little parmesan cheese , and served it with croutons on top..

...I went to a restaurant that also mixed in a little parmesan cheese ...

Parmesan would be tastey! I sprinkle it over fresh steamed asparagus and it's great there so I'm sure it would be good in the soup too. And I agree about the tops ... I liked having a piece of asparagus in each spoonful. I wasn't patient enough to fish out all the tops but got most of them.

Im so excited about Sunday. I will be making dinner for the first time in awhile..We've decided on soups, salad and lots of warm crusty french bread..Thanks to you and those who answered my request for a creamy potatoe soup it will be potatoe and asparagus soup...Yummers, I can hardly wait..
kadesma;)

I have made asparagus soup and other vegetable soups, too expecially in the winter. I love soup. I have an enormous pot of beef, barley and vegetable soup that I made Just remember, asparagus is a natural diuretic.

I have made asparagus soup and other vegetable soups, too, expecially in the winter. I love soup. I have an enormous pot of beef, barley, mushroom and mixed vegetable soup that I made yesterday.

Just remember, asparagus is a natural diuretic.

Good recipe! You can use that same recipe for many other Cream of "Veggie" Soups... Try broccoli, celery, spinach, tomato, etc...

I love soup so much, Ive been known to order a second bowl for dessert when out at a restaurant. I can remember doing this with the Asparagus soup along with hot and sour and corn chowder. I do this not only because i loved it, but to get a second experience so i can evaluate it and try and figure out how I can recreate it at home. Came close with the asparagus soup, not bad with the corn chowder, and way way off with the hot and sour. But, thats what keeps me going back!!

Is the soup "bright" tasting or more heavy?

Could I add a touch of fresh mint? A take-off of Mint-Pea soup?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom