Cream of Cauliflower Soup (or broccoli or whatever)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Cauliflower Soup

30 oz. frozen cauliflower (ifyou use fresh just be sure it is a full 30 oz. and it is good and cooked but frozen works just fine)
1/4 cup cauliflower water (reserved)
2 TBS chopped onion
3 stalks celery
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
nutmeg
salt
paprika

Cook cauliflower, drain and reserve water and 1/3 of the flowerettes. Liquify rest in blender.

Saute onions and celery in butter. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook for a couple minutes stirring constantly. Slowly stir in chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil. Add liquified cauliflower and saved flowerettes. Stir in cream. Season to taste being sure to add a dash of nutmeg.

Garnish with grated cheddar and colby cheese. I prefer just to grate some (ok, a lot ) in the soup at the end of cooking. The I reheat in microwave so cheese doesn't stick to pot when reheating.

Of course you can do broccoli soup this same exact way - or a cimbination of. I like this basic recipe for all of my creamed vegetable soups - this also makes a great potato soup - OR you could even do this as a celery soup

There will be a change in flavor but vegetable broth, to me anyway, has a much cleaner flavor. Does that make sense? I think it would be a nice change and wouldn't compromise the integrity of the recipe at all.

Back
Top Bottom