Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I took out some frozen chicken beasts yesterday and decided that I wanted to make something that was different, and that I haven't had for a while.
It has been like Indian summer here in the south and the crisp cool air in the evenings makes it seem perfect for soups.
I worked in several coffee houses while going to college, and soup was always a mainstay. Both of them had versions of Cream of chicken and wild rice. So off to the net I went to find a recipe. I found a good one but knew that I was going to have to play with it some. It is just how I am and I knew that there where things that I wanted in the recipe that wheren't there to start with.

Recipe
1 1/3C wild rice
1 # chicken breasts
7 C water
1C chopped celery
1C chopped onion
1/2 C juliened carrots
1 C crimini mushrooms. I think I would use morels if I had them fresh.
2 cloves garlic minced
2 chicken boulion cubes
1/2 C butter
3/4 C all purpose flour
4 C whole milk
3/4 C Chardonay (white wine of your choice)
4 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook rice until there is 15 minutes left til it is is finished. strain off the liquid and set the rice aside. If the rice says that it only takes 15 mins like mine did, don't bother cooking it.

2 In the bottom of your soup pot add 2 T olive oil and brown the chicken breasts on each side. Once this is done, add the water and let simmer until chicken is finished. Remove the chicken and let it cool. (I stuck it in the fridge to cool off so that I could deal with it sooner)
Pour off the stock and save for later.

3 In the soup pot add. 2 T olive oil. Celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms and carrots. Stir these well so everything gets a good coating of the oil. You will cook these for about 10 minutes. The onions will be clear by that point. Make sure that you stir them occationally.

4 Add the broth back to the pot and bring it to a simmer. Add the Rice into the pot and continue cooking.

5 Melt the butter in a sauce pan and slowly wisk in the flour until it is smooth. Add the milk and continue to wisk. Once the mixture starts to get thick and bubble it is ready. ( I noticed that if I stopped stirring clumps would start to form in the bottom. This might be the most labor intensive part of the soup.)

6 Pull the chicken apart in little pieces. (I think you could chunk it but I thought that it would look more like a country soup with it pulled apart)
Add the chicken to the soup pot. Add wine to soup pot.
Mix some of the both in with your milk sauce. Then add the milk sauce into the soup. ( I poured this through a large hole strainer in order to catch any lumps that might have formed)

Serves 8 large bowls.

I ended up adding alot of black pepper, but I like chowder like soups to be peppery. Salt it to taste.

Attachments

• onion and celery.jpg
    onion and celery.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 247
  • groceries.jpg
    groceries.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 259
  • ready for the pot.jpg
    ready for the pot.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 262
  • soups ready.jpg
    soups ready.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 276
  • let's eat.jpg
    let's eat.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 267
Major yum! You must have been receiving my request vibes. I had some turkey wild rice soup at Tim Hortons the other day and was thinking I would like to duplicate it. Your recipe is creamy, but so much the better IMO. Thanks for posting this.

kingfisher:
who are you and where have you been??!!

this looks abfab. The only thing I'm dubious about is wild rice that only takes 15 minutes to cook. Isn't it usually MUCH longer?

And just think - I got asked to go to kingfisher's house last night but had a prior committment to cater a renewal of vows ceremony - grrrrrrrrr - and then I could have gone over for lunch today but had to get some typing done ASAP - I'm drooling!!!! How dare you torment me like this!!! ;-)

Mud, I think you are supposed to cook the wild rice for whatever the package says MINUS 15 minutes. My guess is that Kingf has the quick cooking wild rice type. I've noticed most people cook with this type of rice, whereas I have the old fashioned cook forever type. I sometimes have trouble converting...but going to give this a try this week. Thanks for the great recipe!!

htc has it right. So if you need to cook your wild rice for 30 mins, stop cooking it at 15 mins. Drain it and set it aside.
Yes, Kitchenelf, you missed out on it for lunch. I do still have plenty left.

I would sub the wine with stock or water (or up the milk), but that little change apart I'd make this right now if I had all the ingredients! Lovely recipes, Kingfisher, thanks for sharing it with us :)

I may make this today!! I have been hankering for a good wild rice soup lately. Thank you for sharing a great recipe!!

Kingfisher, I noticed in your pics that you used a blend. I have a very similar blend here too. How do you think this would be with just all wild rice? I have that also and was just wondering. I am making this early today as the truck-driver hubby will be stopping by for a couple of hours and I think he will love this.

I just got the blend because of the price. I actually ended up having wild rice in my pantry, I didn't find it until I put the blend away. I think all wild rice would be just as good.
If you like garlic, you might up the amount of cloves you use. I think that I will have to keep playing with the recipe, but overall it is top notch.

This recipe is definitely a keeper!!!! I did add a bit more wild rice to the blend as I like more than they usually put in the blend. I did add a bit more garlic, substituted half-n-half for half of the milk and used a full 8 oz. of mushrooms chopped. My hubby loved it!!! He did ask if I might play around next time and add a touch of cheese, the man loves cheese. I think that cauliflower would nicely compliment the flavors too. Thank you for a wonderful recipe Kingfisher!!!

Back
Top Bottom