Cream of Chicken Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
2 tablespoons butter or chicken fat
1 cup each diced celery, onion and carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup ½ & ½
Salt to taste

Melt butter or fat over medium heat in a large sauce pan, sauté celery, onion, carrots and garlic until carrots are soft, add chicken and warm well. Stir in flour and cook until lightly golden. Stir in the stock and heat until thickened, cook for 20 minutes to meld flavors. Taste for seasoning at this time. Soup should be slightly thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in ½ & ½.

I like to serve over boiled potatoes.

Sounds wonderful. Can I also freeze it and use it when a recipe calls for the soup?

Looks like my chicken & biscuits recipe, except I shred the chicken ;)
And serve over biscuits ;);)
And maybe add a dash of poultry seasoning ;););)
Can't go wrong with creamed chicken :chef:

Looks like my chicken & biscuits recipe, except I shred the chicken ;)
And serve over biscuits ;);)
And maybe add a dash of poultry seasoning ;););)
Can't go wrong with creamed chicken :chef:

When I made the stock I had a bouquet garni of thyme, oregano, sage and parsley in there. So the stock was already quite nicely seasoned. The chicken was poached in the stock. That's why I didn't mention any herbs in the recipe...

Last edited:
Oh--yum. If you want to freeze it after adding the cream, I'd recommend subbing evap milk for the 1/2 and 1/2 instead. I can see this with some wild rice added! On my fall recipes to try list!

Oh--yum. If you want to freeze it after adding the cream, I'd recommend subbing evap milk for the 1/2 and 1/2 instead. I can see this with some wild rice added! On my fall recipes to try list!

Ooh! Rice...Thanks!:pig:

PF--I didn't think anyone had noticed my fondness for FRESH eggs! I'm looking forward to making Greek Lemon Soup this winter with FRESH eggs <g> and I do prefer wild rice in that instead of white!

Our fondness for FRESH eggs is why we are adding a 2nd flock of 9 RIRs next weekend...what started with 2 hens for FRESH eggs has become somewhat of an obsession around here...and there are still 5 "chicken factory workers" in training. They have not graduated to actually producing eggs, yet. They may get shifted to "stew pot" status if they don't produce before Christmas.

As the chief chicken keeper, I'll add that bit of information to the weekly status report meeting that I chair with the trainees.

Back
Top Bottom