Cream of Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup in a bread bowl.

img_1496980_0_906f08871d5b95daa5bdc57f93273dc1.jpg

I second the request for a recipe. :yum:
It does look good and I like the shroom slice for a garnish. :chef:

Did you bake the bread bowl?
Any advice on the making of said bowl is appreciated.
Things like, How thick are the sides, Method of cutting to shape and scooping the innards, etc.
And if you baked it I'll send another recipe request. ;)

All this mushroom soup talk. Now I'm going have to make some. I never put soup in bread bowls. I wonder if mini individual no knead round loaves would work.

I love homemade mushroom soup too!

Don't know how many are aware that Better Than Bullion has a mushroom flavor paste. It's great for both soups and sauces. Love the stuff.

Don't know how many are aware that Better Than Bullion has a mushroom flavor paste. It's great for both soups and sauces. Love the stuff.
Good stuff. I use it to add to meatloaf, gravy, pot roast and stew braise liquid, stuffing and so many things I can't remember them all.

I should look for that. DH doesn't like the texture of mushrooms, but he does like the flavor. And so do I ;)

I love the flavor of dried porcini powder. I crunch up dried mushrooms in my dedicated spice grinder, formerly known as a coffee grinder, and fling it into almost everything but fruit juice.

Oregon Mushroom Company, I think. Thanks to PF, who turned me on to it.

I love the flavor of dried porcini powder. I crunch up dried mushrooms in my dedicated spice grinder, formerly known as a coffee grinder, and fling it into almost everything but fruit juice.

Oregon Mushroom Company, I think. Thanks to PF, who turned me on to it.

You should add that site and the link to the You can find it here ...... thread

img_1497099_0_9241516dbb949841e7c60db485243025.jpg
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup in a bread bowl.

img_1497099_1_906f08871d5b95daa5bdc57f93273dc1.jpg

For the recipe, which I don't have! As I made it on "the fly". I added butter,chopped onion & garlic to pan and cooked for 4-5 minutes at med-low heat. Then added chopped mushrooms. How much ? aprox 1/2 of the amount you make or more depending how you like it. cook until coated with the butter and add more butter as needed. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add thickener. I use a butter roux. Add some heavy cream and garnish or serve as is.

You should add that site and the link to the You can find it here ...... thread

Oregon Mushroom Company is already there! Craig put it on.

Hm. Looking at my supply of dried porcinis, it may be time to reorder.

The mushroom BTB that Kay mentioned interests me greatly too.

Thanks for the recipe, S&P! I have a feeling that mushroom soup will be in my near future. I like a bit of dry sherry in mine.

Last edited:
I have dried shiitake mushrooms. I think I will grind those up and see how they taste added to foods. Anyone else try that?

For the recipe, which I don't have! As I made it on "the fly". I added butter,chopped onion & garlic to pan and cooked for 4-5 minutes at med-low heat. Then added chopped mushrooms. How much ? aprox 1/2 of the amount you make or more depending how you like it. cook until coated with the butter and add more butter as needed. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add thickener. I use a butter roux. Add some heavy cream and garnish or serve as is.

Thanks, Joey! Sounds like how I make mine. Love cream of mushroom soup!

Thanks for the recipe and the photo. I had soup served like that at a café in the Jerusalem Experience in Florida. I used to make a roux often as a basis for a sauce, but don't use that method any longer as I have to avoid anything with a lot of fat and salt.

Gillian

I have a couple of recipes for individual Bread Bowls. I searched quite a bit for them and then suddenly found lots. Didn't want a big bowl but would do one for a dip or something.

Does anyone have a "creamless" Mushroom Cream Soup for dieters? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom