"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cream of mushroom Soup, enhanced

I was working, using an underground cable locator to allow me to paint a trail over buried cable, when I happend upon two perfect field mushrooms, with the pink gills. I immediatley picked them and stuck them in my shirt pocket.

Today's lunch is a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. I added the washed and broken mushrooms I picked. Wow did that ever intensify the mushroom flavor, and give me a decent bunch of mushroom chunks to enjoy in my soup. I love finds like that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love adding extra mushrooms to Campbell's COM soup. I've used Hen of the Woods in it too.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry, Chief, but canned soup is not my thing. However, when I'm at my parents, and they want CMS, I add some dried morel mushrooms (soaked for 20-30 minutes) from my dad's stock, some Worcestershire sauce, and saute some fresh mushrooms, chop them, add the mushroom "juice" from the morels, homemade beef stock for at least 1/2 of the milk (I prefer cream), top with a dollop of cottage cheese that I've "whipped" using the hand blender to which I've added fresh chives at the end. It works--makes the canned soup taste a bit better. I just can't figure out how to reduce the sodium.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CWS, you would already be reducing the sodium by adding unsalted ingredients like the mushrooms and mushroom water. Using the cream would also help.

I make broth/stock without salt and only add it (or not) when preparing another dish.

Of course, the Worcestershire sauce is against you, but it sure sounds tasty.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
CWS, you would already be reducing the sodium by adding unsalted ingredients like the mushrooms and mushroom water. Using the cream would also help.

I make broth/stock without salt and only add it (or not) when preparing another dish.

Of course, the Worcestershire sauce is against you, but it sure sounds tasty.
The soup has so much sodium in it to start--can't get away from that. My parents LOVE salt. .... I just try to make it taste like something other than canned soup. Oh, and if I can, I sneak some sherry in it.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The soup has so much sodium in it to start--can't get away from that. My parents LOVE salt. ....

I get the reduced sodium, Healthy Request.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I get the reduced sodium, Healthy Request.
My dad only buys that if it is the same price on special...sigh. 17 cans of CMS were in the pantry last time I was there...only 2 were low sodium. Old dogs, new tricks.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

I gave up on the cream of mushroom soup that I grew up with.

Now I start with fresh or dried mushrooms, a little of this and a little of that. It seems like the less canned/prepared food I have on hand the better I eat and the cheaper it is, go figure.

Creamed mushrooms is another great way to enjoy them. Sliced mushrooms fried in butter or bacon fat, a sprinkle of flour, S&P, cream, whole milk or stock. Serve over biscuits, toast or mashed potatoes with something green on the side!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I too make homemade cream of mushroom soup when I have a craving. I don't have any canned soups, boxed foods (the "blue" box), or instant flavourings (spaghetti sauce, taco sauce) in my cupboards. I try not to eat processed / prepared food. And yes, you save money avoiding those products. I try to eat real food as often as possible.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Mushroom soup advice please.

How do you make mushroom soup which doesn't turn out grey and unappetising looking? Whenever I've tried to make it it's turned out a very tasty but a horrible sludge colour. The only time it didn't was when I used small tightly closed button mushrooms and then it didn't taste of much.

Tags
cream, other, soup