Creamed Soup Problem... PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xoxHugsAndKisses

Assistant Cook
Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum, so I just want to start off by saying Hello to everyone!! I am really looking forward to being an active part of the group!:):flowers:

I do though have a problem, I made Cream of Chicken Soup for the first time (I live near a diner that makes a killer Cream of Chicken Soup, and I am completely addicted to it... I have never had a Cream of Chicken Soup that actually tasted like Home-made Chicken Noodle Soup, without the noodles. It may sound silly, but this stuff is awesome, but its $5.00 a quart, so its getting expensive. So I decided to try a recipe I found online. ~If anyone has a recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup they would like to share I would be honored if you would share it with me!!!) Well... as I was saying I made Cream of Chicken Soup night before last for the first time, the recipe was calling for 7C of stock (I had made my own, mostly because I had to cook the chicken breast, so I figured instead of using a boxed stock or broth, I would add some veggies, Herbs and seasonings and make my own stock) Well, I followed the recipe to the letter with one exception, I was so tired and in extreme pain (after cooking for 6 hours already) that I didn't measure the "stock" when I added it to the rue. (also somehow my veggies and chicken nearly disintegrated by the time I was done cooking it. Anyway, there is the possibility that I added more stock than the recipe called for. I continued to cook the soup, following the directions, added the heavy cream and waited and waited for the soup to become thick.... and it never happened. I read on here that you can make more rue and add it to the soup to fix it, and I did that once, and that didn't work. (I guess it would help if I measured the amount of stock I am dealing with, but unfortunately, I overlooked that part of the recipe.) So here is where I am desperately seeking help!!! I have a HUGE pot of soup, and it is very, very loose. Its not thick at all!!! I even tried refrigerating it to see if that would thicken it some, and yes, while it is cold it is "thicker", but as soon as it is reheated it is back to its watered down consistency. Is it at all possible that any of you would be willing and able to assist me??? I would be ever so sincerely appreciative!! I don't want it to go to waste. One thing I was thinking about doing is making more of Chicken, Celery, Carrots and Onions and the rue, and adding that to my already made soup, but don't know if that would work. I am seriously desperate for the help!!! As I said, I would be ever so sincerely appreciative of any and all assistance and advice I can get here!! Thank You all ever so much!! xoxHugsAndKisses

Well, you've got a couple of options here -
the easiest is to get a box of (gasp!) potato buds or potato flakes and just pour in a half cup at a time, till it gets thick enough. Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but it's the quickest thickener and doesn't clump up.

Another idea is to thicken by using wondra. Stir some (around 3 Tbsp.) in a bowl with a little bit of milk till it looks thick as Elmer's School glue. Then add some of your broth till they mix in well. Let it cook for a few minutes and watch it thicken up. Then add to your soup. You may need to do this a few times, till it's thick enough.

For next time - believe it or not, Wolfgang Puck has an AMAZING roasted chicken stock out there, available at most markets.

Hope I've helped a bit!

Jkath gave you some good tips... better than mine cuz I don't have any for you. I would try what Jkath suggested.

BTW... Welcome to DC!

Oh, yeah, and when making rue next time do mesure your ingredients. There is always starch you could try o add. But what I would do is start by making new rue and just add your soup to it. Don't make too much. See what happens.

I am not a huge fan of thickening with potato flakes unless I want that note in my finished product. Something tells me in the back of my mind that it might add a little odd taste to a Cream of Chicken soup.

A cornstrach slurry will do the trick as well. Use half as much cornstarch as the recipe calls for flour for the roux. Mix it well with a cup of the stock from the soup so it's fully incorporated and has no lumps, then add to the soup. After that, just simmer the soup until it thickens up.

I would grind some instant Tapioca in my spice grinder and add a table spoon at a time
and let it cook for a few minutes and add some more till you have the thickness you want.. Tapioca is very neutral tasting and it reheats nicely. If you have a really big pot of soup freeze half of it and start with a carrots, celery, onion and you have sweated them down in butter add enough flour to take up the fat and add your soup to this and stirr it should thicken up nicely, just my 2 cents worth

Welcome to DC!! I would go with Charlie on this if you didn't want to add potatoes or noodles/pasta.

Or a bit of cornflour or arrowroot might help.

Well, you've got a couple of options here -
the easiest is to get a box of (gasp!) potato buds or potato flakes and just pour in a half cup at a time, till it gets thick enough. Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but it's the quickest thickener and doesn't clump up.

Another idea is to thicken by using wondra. Stir some (around 3 Tbsp.) in a bowl with a little bit of milk till it looks thick as Elmer's School glue. Then add some of your broth till they mix in well. Let it cook for a few minutes and watch it thicken up. Then add to your soup. You may need to do this a few times, till it's thick enough.

For next time - believe it or not, Wolfgang Puck has an AMAZING roasted chicken stock out there, available at most markets.

Hope I've helped a bit!

Jkath, please excuse me for sounding a little stupid, but what in the world is wondra, and where do you get it? Will it alter the taste of the soup? I have never heard of it before. Also thanks for the suggestion of the Chicken stock by Wolfgang Puck, I made my own because I needed to cook the chicken breasts, and for my regular chicken soup I boil it. (Am looking for another cooking method though that will make it just as soft, but will have more flavor) Being I had to cook the chicken I added some celery, onion, carrots, garlic, fresh thyme, fresh and dried parsley, and some salt, pepper and garlic powder. The stock turned out awesome, its the soup that I failed with. My room mate LOVES the flavor of it. Its just too watery. I am going to attempt it again... but was wondering about this wondra stuff. Thanks for the potato flakes suggestion, that is a good idea in a pinch. One thing I know would work a little is to make "dumplings" from "Bisquick" and add that, that usually would add some thickness to the soup. But I wanted to just try to stick to the main recipe. I am so tempted to go to the diner where I usually get the Cream of Chicken Soup that I am addicted to and ask for a recipe....lol.

I appreciate the help I really do!! It is nice to see that so many have reached out to help me!!! You all have made me feel so welcome, thank you all for the "welcomes" and for all the help!! It has really brought a smile to my face. I am here for you all as well. If I can help out in any way, I will!!

Hey, just out of curiosity, I posted a recipe for "Italian Bread Soup" for MudBug, does anyone know if he/she got it and whether or not it was what he/she was looking for? I'd really like to know!! I'd feel really good to know that I have helped someone here in the group, with all the help I have been getting.

Sincere Thanks to you all!!!!
xoxHugsAndKisses
Heather

Wondra is an easy mixing with liquids flour. It usually comes in a blue and white container and is found in most baking aisles. It's of a thinner consistency than regular flour and I love browning meat with it and it makes wonderful, lumpless gravy. Never tried it in a roux, however, afraid I'd have to use up the entire can and I'm down to one as it is. Hope that you find it as it's worth having on hand. Do drop a bay leaf in it after opening and that will help keep flour beetles and mealybugs out without leaving a flavor to it.

all you ever needed to know about Wondra:
Google Image Result for http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Images/wondra2.jpg

wondra2.jpg

As for the posting for Mudbug - I haven't seen her around lately, but she can be a busy lady at times. If she does get it, I'm sure she'll post.

Also, excellent idea about the tapioca, Dave!

Personally, I think that the potato flakes sounds like an easy solution as well as being tasty with cream of chicken--I don't think that you would need to use much either--I would recommend that you adjust the seasonings afterwards as well

Back
Top Bottom