"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I use it in my coffee as well. I will use heavy cream for this. Look at the ingredients. The only thing it lacks is fat.

We so thing that fat is the enemy these days. I don't get it. Fat is what makes things taste good.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I don't care about carbs. I'm looking for the richness that fat adds.
Yep, fat is flavor to be sure. Hmm, just thought I'd bring up the carb thing for those who may be interested.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I use it in my coffee as well. I will use heavy cream for this. Look at the ingredients. The only thing it lacks is fat.

We so thing that fat is the enemy these days. I don't get it. Fat is what makes things taste good.
It does not lack fat - the very first ingredient is fat. There's the right amount of fat to sauté the veggies, bloom the spices and thicken the liquids. If you want to add more, go right ahead - like I already said.

I disagree that fat alone is what makes things taste good. There are many other components to flavor and sometimes too much fat overpowers other flavors, and in my opinion, dairy mutes other flavors. That's why I don't like tomato sauces with dairy - I can't taste the tomatoes anymore once it's added.

People can reasonably disagree on how much is enough or too much, but your opinion is not the only one that matters.

And please don't tell me what I think (don't pretend "we" isn't directed at me, since this is my recipe). I'm quite capable of thinking for myself.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I thank you for the carb count, too! Let's me know at a glance what adjustments I may have to make to fit your recipe to my diet.

I have several packages of frozen poblanos, can use extra and puree for the thickening aspect. This sounds so good I want to make it now...but I have to clean out the fridge first. Bummer.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks for posting the recipe, GG. At first glance, though, it looks nothing like what I remember eating! I'll probably play around with your version plus a few others I've seen online, to see if I can match what my memory is of the soup I had. I know for sure the bowl I ate had no green peppers (trust me, I can taste one Tbsp in a dish for hours and hours and...*burp*) or spinach, nor hominy or cumin (that one gives me indigestion). Still, at least you created a recipe that you like from me mentioning that I had chicken poblano soup, so we're good, right?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

We're great! DH and I enjoyed it and several other people like the idea, so yay

I definitely expanded on the ones I found online. I had a half a green pepper that needed to be used, so in it went. I wanted to make it more hearty so it would be a one-pot meal, so I added the hominy and spinach. So mix it up however you like

I forgot to mention that I topped it with crispy tortilla strips.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup

2 tbsp. oil or melted butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup poblano chiles, chopped
1/2 cup tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (or use another 1/2 cup poblanos)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. masa harina
4 cups chicken stock
1 25-oz. can hominy with liquid
1/2 cup half and half
3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup baby spinach, chopped

Heat oil or butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos and bell pepper, along with chili powder and cumin.

Add flour and masa harina; cook and stir for a couple minutes, till it looks sticky. Add chicken stock, hominy with liquid and another pinch of salt; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir chicken, half and half and spinach into soup. Cook till warmed through, about 10 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve.

Servings: 8
17 carbs/serving based on a 10-oz. serving.

Attachment 25508
Perfect! I have 2 pablanos left from what I bought to make chili yesterday.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Perfect! I have 2 pablanos left from what I bought to make chili yesterday.
Kewl Hope you and Karen enjoy it
Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It does not lack fat - the very first ingredient is fat. There's the right amount of fat to sauté the veggies, bloom the spices and thicken the liquids. If you want to add more, go right ahead - like I already said.

I disagree that fat alone is what makes things taste good. There are many other components to flavor and sometimes too much fat overpowers other flavors, and in my opinion, dairy mutes other flavors. That's why I don't like tomato sauces with dairy - I can't taste the tomatoes anymore once it's added.

People can reasonably disagree on how much is enough or too much, but your opinion is not the only one that matters.

And please don't tell me what I think (don't pretend "we" isn't directed at me, since this is my recipe). I'm quite capable of thinking for myself.
I had no intention to offend.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't think you offended anyone, Liz.

Tags
chicken, cream, poblanos, recipe, soup, tomatillos

Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup [B]Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup[/B] 2 tbsp. oil or melted butter 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small 1 medium carrot, chopped 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped 2 large cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup poblano chiles, chopped 1/2 cup tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (or use another 1/2 cup poblanos) 2 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour 2 tbsp. masa harina 4 cups chicken stock 1 25-oz. can hominy with liquid 1/2 cup half and half 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 cup baby spinach, chopped Heat oil or butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos and bell pepper, along with chili powder and cumin. Add flour and masa harina; cook and stir for a couple minutes, till it looks sticky. Add chicken stock, hominy with liquid and another pinch of salt; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir chicken, half and half and spinach into soup. Cook till warmed through, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve. Servings: 8 17 carbs/serving based on a 10-oz. serving. [ATTACH]25508[/ATTACH] 3 stars 1 reviews