"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #21
Master Chef

+1 Dawg....and GG, that sounds like a delicious soup.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks for posting the recipe, GG. At first glance, though, it looks nothing like what I remember eating!...Still, at least you created a recipe that you like from me mentioning that I had chicken poblano soup, so we're good, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We're great! DH and I enjoyed it and several other people like the idea, so yay ...
Ha, I asked my friend what recipe they used at their coffee shop. Turns out the chicken poblano soup I ate was from a Paula Deen recipe! He sent the link to me for the recipe to the exact soup I ate at their place: Poblano Chicken Chowder

Now how does that go? Ask and ye shall receive?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have several packages of frozen poblanos, can use extra and puree for the thickening aspect. **.
Did you freeze them yourself? did you chop or freeze whole?

I rarely see them around here. I know they are frequently offered in a lot of the big stores in Burlington/Toronto. Wasn't sure if I could store them.

Last tiime I had any was 2 years ago - stuffed them and then stuffed me.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Did you freeze them yourself? did you chop or freeze whole?

I rarely see them around here. I know they are frequently offered in a lot of the big stores in Burlington/Toronto. Wasn't sure if I could store them.

Last tiime I had any was 2 years ago - stuffed them and then stuffed me.
The grocery store here frequently has produce on "day old"and sell for cheap. I simply bring it home and toss it in the freezer. No problems as long as you want to cook with it.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #25
Senior Cook

This looks excellent, I might substitute hatch for poblano as I have hatch chilies at the moment.

So, masa harina. An ingredient I haven't used. I have bread flour, whole wheat flour, and white and yellow cornmeal. Substitution possible?

Or heck, there is a Mexican grocery on my way to work I've been wanting to explore. I bet they'd have it.

A corn based flour? I've just started experimenting with corn meal. I'm kind of excited as my first attempts at corn bread have really sucked. Which means this is an area of cooking and baking I have a lot to learn about.

I really like the idea of this recipe. I will try to do it exact once I find some masa harina. Then of course, I'm gonna mess with it shamelessly.

Tags
chicken, cream, poblanos, recipe, soup, tomatillos

Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup [B]Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup[/B] 2 tbsp. oil or melted butter 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small 1 medium carrot, chopped 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped 2 large cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup poblano chiles, chopped 1/2 cup tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (or use another 1/2 cup poblanos) 2 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour 2 tbsp. masa harina 4 cups chicken stock 1 25-oz. can hominy with liquid 1/2 cup half and half 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 cup baby spinach, chopped Heat oil or butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos and bell pepper, along with chili powder and cumin. Add flour and masa harina; cook and stir for a couple minutes, till it looks sticky. Add chicken stock, hominy with liquid and another pinch of salt; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir chicken, half and half and spinach into soup. Cook till warmed through, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve. Servings: 8 17 carbs/serving based on a 10-oz. serving. [ATTACH]25508[/ATTACH] 3 stars 1 reviews