"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Creamy Crab soup TNT

Making crab soup on a warm day must make you all think "She's lost it" almost but not yet This cam about becaue my DH has a friend who thinks he is be all and end all on places to eat. We tried his latest suggestion for lunch last week..Nice Italian place..Specials and all entrees include either salad or soup the soup being you got it cram of crab..We both order the soup..out it comes. I hink to myself humm tomato..I taste it low and behold it is tomatoe..right out of the can Campbells tomato soup with some milk added and crab yes sir one big piece of imitation..that's it we ate it but I made up my mind I was having crab soup with real crab..so that is what we are having in this heat for lunch. I must say even if I break my arm patting my back.. this stuff is darn good without tomato I'd be happpy to share what I did to make this if anyone wants the recipe

kadesma

Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Oh, the things some people do. But, yes....i think most of us would like to see what you did!!!!! DH (hehehe I can say that now!!!) made a crab vegetable soup that was great. Bring it on!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've got blue crab stock, and plenty of lump meat....What else do I need????

I wanna know right now!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yes, please post, love seafood soups and chowders.

Reminds me of a guy in our church that is the same way, constantly going out to eat and bragging about the best places. I about choked when he said the best place for ribs was Carson's or Robinson's!! Yea they are pretty good, but most BBQ'ers on here could beat em hands down! I even told him he could make them on his own better and would gladly supply several different methods and recipes from here to help. He said there was no way he could ever do it better than them..... defeated himself before even trying, and I am thinking he must be easy to please LOL!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Oh, the things some people do. But, yes....i think most of us would like to see what you did!!!!! DH (hehehe I can say that now!!!) made a crab vegetable soup that was great. Bring it on!!!

Yeah, but, for how long will you be saying it!!
Just joking!!

kadesma, you know better than to talk about your dinner and not post it!! Jeez, your gonna make us beg??
Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry guy just finished dinner...Here is what I did
I melted 1 stick of butter in a pot, to this I added 1/2-c. finely chopped celery,1-c chopped yellow onion, when they were soft I added 1/2-c. chicken stock, then3 cups milk and then 2 cups cream, salt and pepper,,,,about 1 Tab. of garlic powder and 1=1/2 lbs of fresh crab meat..Let the whole thing get to a boil and reduced the heat and simmered about 10 min..Other than chopping the veggies and putting all this on the stove, it was easy and fairly quick..I have to say I'm not much of a soup maker, my only great on is french onion..This one came out very nice and tasty. Hope you all enjoy it. Need to add made a slurry with cornstarch just to give the soup a little more body
kades
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

That sounds wonderful! I wouldn't want tomatoes in my crab soup.

Have you ever eaten She-crab Soup?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
That sounds wonderful! I wouldn't want tomatoes in my crab soup.

Have you ever eaten She-crab Soup?
Hi Connie, no i've never had she crab soup.. I'll try just about anything though Got a good recipe?
I enjoyed this soup I made and I agree tomato does not belong here...The tomato soup I had at the restraunt was just a doctored up Campbells soup with a piece of imitation crab thrown in...While I like tomato soup, wellll
kadesma
Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I would add potatoes and tomatoes. Sort of like a combo of Mahattan and New England Clam Chowda, with crab, instead of clams.
But to be served canned in a restaurant - definately a send back.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

Hey kads.........could of been worse you could of ordered the Chicken Noodle Soup and out comes a bowl of Cambells with a few chicken necks swimming around in the broth

Seriously though....your soup sounds wonderful and I've cut and pasted it for when warmer weather hits.....Thanks!

Tags
None