"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Thanks, sounds terrific. I'm really curious about the pea & pesto soup recipe - please share the details.
Sure, no prob.
Here is the recipe, I tivo her express cooking show. Love Nigella Lawson, think she's beautiful and a hearty [same as me] eater. A true lover of food in my opinion.
I'm making this as part of my dinner in several hours from now. I won't be buying fresh pesto with all my basil in the yard, the onions/garlic/shallots/lemon thyme I also grow, I just make my own, it'll be easy peasy.
I've also gotten carried away with too much pepper flakes and about kilt myself.
Seriously though, some people do the split peas, water, salt and pepper to achieve their split pea soup, you can add whatever, the skies the limit.
When I spoke about Anderson's in Buellton California where they have one of their restaurants, it's the split pea soup maker, I'm sure you know that, anyway, their toppings include ham/bacon/scallions/sour cream/croutons/chives/parm cheese et al. Very fun to go in there on a freezing day and go hog wild

Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Sous Chef

We have always had dumplings when we make pea soup.....just the ordinary kind made with egg, flour, water, s & p and some parsley flakes for colour. Drop them into boiling broth or water until done, then serve with the soup......most deelish!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

I love to put croûtons in my split pea soup, I like the crunch LOL.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

My wife introduced me to dropping some small cubes of Jarlsburg (sp) cheese into the finished split pea soup, just before eating it. Sounds a little bizzare, but gives u something to fish for while eating the soup. Sometimes Ill fry some onions and toss them in at the end too, But usually its a packaged os split peas, I used some kind of stock instead of just water, and whatever vegetables I need to get rid of ( celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic).... and blend at the end. As above, Ill toss a few croutons in before eating, or , slice up a hot dog ( vegetarian of course) and throw it in too ( another thing to fish for while eating it)..
Old 08-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My wife introduced me to dropping some small cubes of Jarlsburg (sp) cheese into the finished split pea soup, just before eating it. Sounds a little bizzare, but gives u something to fish for while eating the soup. Sometimes Ill fry some onions and toss them in at the end too, But usually its a packaged os split peas, I used some kind of stock instead of just water, and whatever vegetables I need to get rid of ( celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic).... and blend at the end. As above, Ill toss a few croutons in before eating, or , slice up a hot dog ( vegetarian of course) and throw it in too ( another thing to fish for while eating it)..
Jarlsburg cheese in pea soup?? Might sound bizarre to you but I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try it with cubes of Havarti (my favorite.) Thank your wife for me.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

skillet cornbread is so good with split pea soup......also have a bottle of Tabasco on hand........now that's fine cuisine at its best........recipes sound great y'all........I make it all the time in the winter
Old 08-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the good ideas - Now, does anyone have a fabulous Lentil soup recipe??? or other healthy robust kinds of legume soup recipe???
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Thanks for all the good ideas - Now, does anyone have a fabulous Lentil soup recipe??? or other healthy robust kinds of legume soup recipe???
now lentil I do like a bit of smokey ham flavor in plus with that, I use a chicken broth, otherwise mostly the same as the split pea, the toppings are endless there too
Old 08-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
Master Chef

That reminds me I have lentils to use up...
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
Master Chef

Now if you're looking for an easy - but extremely delicious - green pea soup with dumplings, here's one that I've fooled around with a few times that's worthwhile:

GREEN PEA SOUP WITH BUTTER DUMPLINGS
(adapted from "The Vegetarian Epicure")

Equipment:
Pot large enough to hold all soup ingredients
Medium skillet
Pyrex or other heat-proof mixing bowl large enough to hold soup
Blender or Immersible Stick Blender

Ingredients:
Soup:
One 16-ounce bag frozen green peas
4 cups chicken broth (one carton of Swanson's)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
4-1/2 tablespoons butter
4-1/2 tablespoons flour
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Dumplings:
6 tablespoons of softened butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
dash of salt

Procedure:
(First off - remove the stick of butter for the dumplings well ahead of time so that it is as soft as possible without being melted.)

For the Soup:
Cook the peas in the broth, water, & brown sugar until quite soft - about 20 minutes. Blend thoroughly with an immersion stick blender or a tradional blender. (If using a regular blender, blend NO MORE than 1/2 cup at a time, & cover/hold blender cap down with a kitchen towel or several thicknesses of paper towels. Hot liquids expand immediately, & you'll be covered with scalding hot soup if you're impatient & try to blend too much at one time. If using regular blender, pour blended batches into Pyrex mixing bowl as you go along.) Once soup is pureed, return to pot (if you used a regular blender) & season to taste with a little salt (don't overdo) & freshly ground pepper, & stir in the wine.

Melt the 4-1/2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet & stir in the 4-1/2 tablespoons of flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for about 3 minutes. Then stir a couple of cups of the soup mixture into the skillet, whisk until smooth, add back into the pot with the rest of the soup, & blend well.

Dumplings:

In a mixing bowl (I use the same one I used for the soup, rinsed & dried), beat the 2 eggs, beat in the flour & soft butter, & add a dash of salt & the nutmeg.

Bring soup up to a gentle boil & drop dumpling batter by half-teaspoonfuls. When dumplings rise to the top, set timer for 5 minutes.

Enjoy.

Tags
None