"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Master Chef

Creamy Tomato Basil Mushroom Soup

I made this soup for a pot luck and it was wonderful. It's the first time I made this recipe, and of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I took a pretty standard tomato basil soup recipe from on line, and changed it by adding bacon and mushrooms. The result was a great soup that everyone enjoyed, even those that told me they didn't like tomato soups. Here's the GW version.

Ingredients:
24 oz. tomato puree
24 oz. crushed tomato
1/2 lb. bacon
1 tsp. kosher salt
8 cloves garlic
1 medium sized yellow onion
1 stick butter
8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms
12 leaves fresh basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbs. chicken soup base
8 oz. heavy cream

Place tomato puree and crushed tomato into a 2 quart sauce pan along with the soup base and salt. Cover and turn heat to medium flame. Chiffinade the basil and add to the soup, with the oregano. Stir, cover, and let simmer.

Place 1/2 of the butter into a saute' or frying pan and heat over low flame. Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Place into the saute' pan and sweat the onion. Poor the onion/garlic mixture into the soup and stir. Cover and let simmer.

Wash and cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch squares. Fry the bacon until it just starts to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms to the pan with the bacon grease and saute' until lightly browned. Turn off the heat from the saute' pan. Fill a blender half-way full of the soup. Cover and blend until silky smooth. Pour that soup into a suitable container. Blend the rest of the soup in the same manner until it's all smooth and creamy. Return to the pot. Add the mushrooms and bacon, cover, and let simmer for ten minutes. Stir in the cream until well blended and taste the soup. Correct the seasoning and serve hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That sounds fantastic! Copied and Pasted! Thank you!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

That sounds awesome Goodweed, Thanks for the recipe.

Josie
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Hmm bacon in tomato basil soup sounds great! But mushrooms??
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Fancy mushrooms saute'd in bacon grease......... Yes, Ma'm!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Think of how great mushrooms go with pizza, or in marinara sauce. It's a natural.

Mushrooms make everything taste better, even ice cream!

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North

Think of how great mushrooms go with pizza, or in marinara sauce. It's a natural.

Mushrooms make everything taste better, even ice cream!

Good point about the pizza!!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a bias about tomato soup--my father used to take tomato juice and add baking soda, milk, and butter...because of that--I have an aversion to tomato soup. BUT, I love gazpacho and I took fresh tomatoes, fresh tomato juice, added fresh basil, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, and mushroom broth and made a "hot" tomato soup last fall and really liked that soup. Nothing like my dad's <g> I don't think I'm up to trying a cream tomato soup. And, of course, I added a few dashes of hot sauce to the fresh tomato soup I made. My "bad" memory about my dad's "Sunday lunch tomato soup" is the baking soda and milk. I did like the oyster crackers...It is one of those things that just doesn't cotton with me--creamed tomato soup...blame it on my dad.

Tags
recipe, soup, tomato

Creamy Tomato Basil Mushroom Soup I made this soup for a pot luck and it was wonderful. It's the first time I made this recipe, and of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I took a pretty standard tomato basil soup recipe from on line, and changed it by adding bacon and mushrooms. The result was a great soup that everyone enjoyed, even those that told me they didn't like tomato soups. Here's the GW version.:chef: Ingredients: 24 oz. tomato puree 24 oz. crushed tomato 1/2 lb. bacon 1 tsp. kosher salt 8 cloves garlic 1 medium sized yellow onion 1 stick butter 8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms 12 leaves fresh basil 1 tsp. dried oregano 1 tbs. chicken soup base 8 oz. heavy cream Place tomato puree and crushed tomato into a 2 quart sauce pan along with the soup base and salt. Cover and turn heat to medium flame. Chiffinade the basil and add to the soup, with the oregano. Stir, cover, and let simmer. Place 1/2 of the butter into a saute' or frying pan and heat over low flame. Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Place into the saute' pan and sweat the onion. Poor the onion/garlic mixture into the soup and stir. Cover and let simmer. Wash and cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch squares. Fry the bacon until it just starts to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms to the pan with the bacon grease and saute' until lightly browned. Turn off the heat from the saute' pan. Fill a blender half-way full of the soup. Cover and blend until silky smooth. Pour that soup into a suitable container. Blend the rest of the soup in the same manner until it's all smooth and creamy. Return to the pot. Add the mushrooms and bacon, cover, and let simmer for ten minutes. Stir in the cream until well blended and taste the soup. Correct the seasoning and serve hot. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews