Creamy Tomato Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
I just posted this in the "What's for dinner" thread so I figured I may as well post here too! I can't remember if I got this recipe off the web or what, but this is what I have posted on my fridge so I stick to it :)

2 big cloves of garlic, finely minced
bit of olive oil, just enough for the garlic to cook in
28 oz can of Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes, with basil (these ones are nice and chunky)
Two heaping tablespoons of sundried tomato spread (you can find it with the tomatoes in the produce section usually)
1/2 cup chicken stock or so, however much depending on how thin or thick you want your soup
light brown sugar to taste - I take a good sized chunk, I like my soup kinda sweet :) (remember that cream will also sweeten it too though!)
heavy whipping cream

Simmer the garlic on low heat in the olive oil for just a minute or two, enough to cook it a bit but not to burn it.
Add in the can of crushed tomatoes, the sundried tomato spread, and enough chicken stock to thin it to your liking, and then add in light brown sugar to taste.
Let that simmer for 10 minutes or so then remove from heat before you add in the heavy whipping cream. Add in enough cream to lighten it to your liking - I add in enough to get it a nice orange color.

Serve with some grilled cheese sandwhiches on italian or french bread. :)

~Katie

why does cream "sweeten" it? natural sugars in the cream or something?

I'm not too sure actually, but I've noticed that the more cream I put in, the less tart it is. (Maybe sweeten wasn't the right word.) It is heavy whipping cream, which seems to me to be a bit sweeter than regular cream anyhow. I suppose you could use milk or half and half in the recipe but I love the richness of the whipping cream in it :)

Back
Top Bottom