CWS' Cold Beet and Buttermilk soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Finally, I got to play in the kitchen. A friend dropped off fresh beets (with greens), some cucumbers, and dill from her garden. I had 1/2 gal. of buttermilk in the fridge, some lemons, limes, and oranges. This is what I came up with (wish I were in MY kitchen using MY equipment):

CWS' Cold Beet and Buttermilk soup

Equipment: Blender or food processor with chopping blade Measuring cups and spoons Spatula Mixing bowl

Ingredients: Note: Measurements are approximate--this is a "to taste" recipe.
1.25 lb beets* 1 med. cucumber 2 T fresh dill + 2 T for garnish 1 T Dad's maple syrup (if your Dad doesn't tap maple trees, use honey or other liquid sweetener) 2 tsp red wine vinegar 1/4 c fresh orange, lemon, or lime juice (I used all three to make 1/4 c) 1 lemon 1/2 c plain yogurt+4 T for garnish 2 c buttermilk A handful of small beet greens for garnish white pepper salt 1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preparation: Beets: Clean, remove greens, leaving 1-1/2 inch of stems. Set greens aside for another use. Save the smallest beet for garnish. Cucumber: Peel, seed, and coarse chop. Lemon: Zest and juice (1-1/2 T juice) Dill: Chop 2 T for garnish right before serving. Baby beet: Grate for garnish right before serving.

Directions: 1. Cook beets in boiling water until you can insert a fork into the center. You may need to remove the beets individually depending on the sizes you are cooking. 2. Let beets cool until cool enough to handle. Slip skins off under cold running water. (I put the beets in a bowl, covered, overnight at this stage). 3. Coarse chop beets. 4. Combine beets, cucumber, 2 T dill, sweetener, vinegar, citrus juice in blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Add yogurt. Season to taste. 5. Transfer to mixing bowl, stir in buttermilk. (Use amount needed to obtain consistency desired). Chill 2-4 hours before serving. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, grated baby beet, lemon zest, fresh dill and baby beet greens.

Notes: If I were at home, I would juice a few beets (so I would want more than the number the friend dropped off). I would use that with the cooked beets. I might also throw a couple of beets in my "stovetop" smoker once cooked, I would also grate some fresh beet and add that to the pureed mixture. Alas, I am not home, I do not have my stovetop smoker or my juicer here, and I can't walk out to the garden and grab more beets. This hits the spot on a hot, humid day. Adjust sweetness/tartness level to suit. I like lemon/lime with my beets, and I love buttermilk. This would also work with plain Kefir or possibly even plain Almond, Cashew, or Rice milk. Apple cider or apple juice would work instead of the citrus juice. Cranberry-apple would be an interesting combination as well. Sorry, no pics. Only digital camera I have with me is my phone and roaming charges are outrageous, so no pic of this lovely fuchsia pink soup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can one of the moderators please put in hard line breaks? It didn't look like this when I typed it in...it was not a run-on paragraph! Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I think CWS meant that each capitalized piece of equipment, each ingredient, each item under Preparation, and each numbered step should be on a separate line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom