CWS' Cream of Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't know how the rest of you make cream of mushroom soup, but this is how I do it:

2 lb of fresh and dried mushrooms (mixed blend, rehydrate the dried ones in 3 c of warm water for 30 minutes)
2 sticks of butter
juice of 1 lemon
1 LARGE clove garlic, minced
1 c red onion, yellow onion, green onion tops, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 c flour (depends on how thick you want the soup)
1 tsp horseradish
1 T worchestshire sauce
1/4 tsp Sirarachi
1/4 c red wine or brandy
3 c mushroom broth (from the dried mushrooms--add more water if needed)
S&P
1 c 1/2 + 1/2 cream
1 c milk (whole)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 T fresh chopped parsley

Directions:
1. Rehydrate dried mushrooms.
2. Slice fresh mushrooms the size you want.
3. Chop onions.
4. Melt butter in a heavy pan.
5. Saute mushrooms (except those that were rehydrated) in butter for 2-3 minutes. Top with lemon juice and garlic, stir constantly.
6. Drain dried mushrooms (save that broth). Toss them in with the other mushrooms.
7. Splash in red wine. Keep stirring.
8. Remove mushrooms to a bowl.
9. Toss onions, horseradish, and Sirirachi sauce (1/4 tsp) together. Cook until onions are soft.
10. Add flour and stir until blended.
11. Gradually add the saved mushroom broth and stir constantly until mixture is thickened.
12. Puree hot mixture in FP.
13. Return to pan and add 1/4 c cream, reserved mushrooms, S&P.
14. To serve, top with lemon zest, dollop of sour cream to which 1/4 tsp of horseradish has been blended, chopped fresh it. Flat parsley and more grated lemon zest.

That's how I make cream of mushroom soup. How do you make it?

Last edited:
How much of that 2 lbs of 'shrooms is the fresh and how much is the dried? How much of the sautéed 'shrooms do you reserve?

Sounds good to me.

How much of that 2 lbs of 'shrooms is the fresh and how much is the dried? How much of the sautéed 'shrooms do you reserve?

Sounds good to me.

Yes. Proportions and types of mushrooms you use.

Cream of mushroom I love and ill def make your recipe. Just need a little guidance.

Sounds good to me.
I had two portebellos (I stripped the gills and added those to the stems), 227 g of cremini, and 3 227 g containers of "button" mushrooms. 1/2 c of dried mushrooms before adding water--oyster, morel, shitaki, and some others (sorry, didn't jot those down). Reserved about a cup of the 'shrooms--remember, I cook by taste.

Last edited:
I had two portebellos (I stripped the gills and added those to the stems), 227 g of cremini, and 3 227 g containers of "button" mushrooms. 1/2 c of dried mushrooms before adding water--oyster, morel, shitaki, and some others (sorry, didn't jot those down). Reserved about a cup of the 'shrooms--remember, I cook by taste.
So it's about 2 lbs of fresh 'shrooms plus dried 'shrooms.

Yup--that's about right. I had 3 c of "juice" from soaking the dried mushrooms. If you don't have dried mushrooms, you could use chicken, beef, or veggie broth in place of the water left from soaking the dried 'mshrooms. Oh, forgot to mention I added about 4 sprigs of fresh thyme to the onions and then removed the thyme when I mixed everything together.

Last edited:
I can't stop eating it. So much for my usual breakfast. The horseradish (I used fresh because I had a fresh root, but you can used jarred) and the dab of srirachi bumped it up a notch, as did the lemon juice and zest. I picked up the fresh mushrooms on the 50% off table, so this was a s/what inexpensive soup to make (I had the garlic, onion, lemon, wine, etc.). I didn't have to buy anything other than the fresh mushrooms.

Sorry I wasn't more exact--I cook by taste and by golly. It turned out--probably can't make it the same again, but it is tasty. You just have to trust your palette. One could grill the portebellos to add another depth of flavour.

Last edited:
Not dried "lobsters" Addie. The thread is about mushroom soup. Those "dry lobster, chanterelle and porcini" refers to three types of mushrooms. Can you even DRY a lobster? :ermm: Although I wouldn't put it past our son to try and make lobster jerky. :LOL:

Not dried "lobsters" Addie. The thread is about mushroom soup. Those "dry lobster, chanterelle and porcini" refers to three types of mushrooms. Can you even DRY a lobster? :ermm: Although I wouldn't put it past our son to try and make lobster jerky. :LOL:

I have never heard of a mushroom referred to in that manner. Lobster jerky. Oh dear. Ground beef in a test tube. The world of food is in a state of collapse. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom