Dessert soup. Share your recipes here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mexican mama

Senior Cook
Ive been wondering about some dessert soup...so far ive got this one recipe of a strawberry dessert soup...ive had this one a long time ago and i loved it,,.,.it's cool and refreshing and i do love strawberries..it was something different to cap off a nice meal..share your favorite dessert soup here coz' i want to try it out

Mexican Chilled Strawberry and Buttermilk Soup

Ingredients -
2 pints ripe strawberries (reserve 6 for garnish)
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
6 ounces masa harina
2 cups water
2 cups buttermilk
1 stick canela (cinnamon)
4-5 mint leaves, dried and chopped fine or powdered Hoya Santa
Preparation:
Remove the hulls from the strawberries and wash. Cut into thin slices, place in a bowl and mix with ½ cup of the sugar. Stir occasionally. Puree strawberries in a blender and set aside.
Stir the masa harina into the water to dissolve; strain though sieve.
In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the masa mixture, milk and canela stick.
Cook over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon. When the atole thickens after approximately 3 to 4 minutes, reduce the heat to low and add ¾ cup of the sugar and the puree of strawberries.
Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Add additional milk if necessary; the atole should have a slightly thick but pourable consistency. Strain into a serving bowl.
Chill the soup until it is sufficiently cold the soup should be served chilled.
To Serve
Pour into cups. Serve as a dessert soup garnished with fresh mint leaves, powdered mint a strawberry and some blueberries fanned out.

strawberry-soup-1-375x500.jpg

Chilled Melon Soup is my favorite, and it's very easy.
Simmer your favorite diced melon in white wine until the melon is very soft.
Strain the wine and puree the melon.
Combine with some yogurt or cream and season as you'd like.

This procedure can be used with just about any fruit to make a pureed soup.

Chef Todd Mohr

Free video reveals
My #1 Chef Secret for Creating Amazing Meals at home
Chef Todd Mohr Web Cooking Classes - Cook Like a Chef at Home

melons

Chilled Melon Soup is my favorite, and it's very easy.
Simmer your favorite diced melon in white wine until the melon is very soft.
Strain the wine and puree the melon.
Combine with some yogurt or cream and season as you'd like.

This procedure can be used with just about any fruit to make a pureed soup.

Chef Todd Mohr

Free video reveals
My #1 Chef Secret for Creating Amazing Meals at home
Chef Todd Mohr Web Cooking Classes - Cook Like a Chef at Home

havent tried it melons..thanks for the suggestion

Mexican Mama, your soup recipe has inspired me, and got me thinking. It is completely different than my own strawberry soup recipe, which I'm not going to post here. I don't have the ingredients for the recipe I'm about to post, but it should still be great. It's pattered somewhat from your recipe and so should work well, but give a different flavor profile. I will try it out next payday.

I've played with a couple of flavors in my head, and this one seams to be the one that keeps thrusting itself forward.

Peach Soup
This will probably remind some of you of peaches and cream. But I can promise that it won't feel or taste the same.

Ingredients:
*4 ripe, sweet cling peaches (one to use as a garnish)
*2 cups whole milk
*1/4 cup brown sugar (0r white sugar if you prefer)
*1/2 tsp salt.
*3 tbs. farina
*1/4 tsp. cinnamon
*1/4 tsp. ground ginger
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*Water

Half fill a pot with 1 quart of water and bring to a rolling boil. Blanch 3 of the peaches for 30 seconds in the water. Remove and place in cold water to cool. Remove the skins and pit. Dice.
Place milk and spices into a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the farina, slowly pouring it in while continually stirring. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the diced peaches and cook for five minutes more. Add the vanilla, brown sugar, and salt. Pour into a blender or use an immersion blender and make it silky smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold. Pour into desert glasses and garnish with a fresh peach peach slice on top.

I would think that you could beat an egg yolk and temper it with the hot soup, then stir back into the soup, to thicken it slightly and improve the mouth feel. But this would be optional, and might make it too much like a custard. And you might also want to replace the farina with tapioca pearls in the soup. That would give an interesting texture.

I think if you play with these ingredients, they would make a great desert soup. You might also change the fruit to banana, or apricot, or even pineapple with coconut. It's definitely something to play with.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

greatm additions

Mexican Mama, your soup recipe has inspired me, and got me thinking. It is completely different than my own strawberry soup recipe, which I'm not going to post here. I don't have the ingredients for the recipe I'm about to post, but it should still be great. It's pattered somewhat from your recipe and so should work well, but give a different flavor profile. I will try it out next payday.

I've played with a couple of flavors in my head, and this one seams to be the one that keeps thrusting itself forward.

Peach Soup
This will probably remind some of you of peaches and cream. But I can promise that it won't feel or taste the same.

Ingredients:
*4 ripe, sweet cling peaches (one to use as a garnish)
*2 cups whole milk
*1/4 cup brown sugar (0r white sugar if you prefer)
*1/2 tsp salt.
*3 tbs. farina
*1/4 tsp. cinnamon
*1/4 tsp. ground ginger
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*Water

Half fill a pot with 1 quart of water and bring to a rolling boil. Blanch 3 of the peaches for 30 seconds in the water. Remove and place in cold water to cool. Remove the skins and pit. Dice.
Place milk and spices into a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the farina, slowly pouring it in while continually stirring. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the diced peaches and cook for five minutes more. Add the vanilla, brown sugar, and salt. Pour into a blender or use an immersion blender and make it silky smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold. Pour into desert glasses and garnish with a fresh peach peach slice on top.

I would think that you could beat an egg yolk and temper it with the hot soup, then stir back into the soup, to thicken it slightly and improve the mouth feel. But this would be optional, and might make it too much like a custard. And you might also want to replace the farina with tapioca pearls in the soup. That would give an interesting texture.

I think if you play with these ingredients, they would make a great desert soup. You might also change the fruit to banana, or apricot, or even pineapple with coconut. It's definitely something to play with.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am looking forward to your post...and i love peaches too so i am definitely going to try it soon...its good that we can diversify and customize recipes. thanks for replying:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom