"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This sounds wonderful! Thanks CWS!
And low in calories to boot! You could eat all three servings and that would be about 180 - 200 calories, depending on what you use for the chicken broth and if you roast the carrots with a bit of EVOO or put them in the broth.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!
I do like it best with carrots from the garden. Store-bought carrots aren't nearly as tender or sweet as those from the garden. We have "buckets" of carrots (stored in sawdust) from the garden.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dill goes with carrots. Also with fish!

I've printed out the recipe and added carrots to the grocery list.

I love carrots/potatoes/dill. Don't bother with gravy. It's yummy the way it is.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds great, CWS! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Master Chef

Darn CW, I do miss my veggie garden :(
Nothing is better than home grown!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?
I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.
Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.
Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.
Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!
They are true baby carrots. I'm so glad I found these! I can make so much with them! I ate some raw and had some with lunch and dinner

Packet is almost finished and I ate most of them myself.

Tags
carrot, carrots, dill, recipe, soup

Dilled Carrot Soup This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card. Dilled Carrot Soup 2 c chicken broth (I use homemade) 2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium) 1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley 2 T chopped shallots or green onions 2 garlic cloves 2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper 1/2 c skim milk Directions: 1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first) 2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover. 3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender. 4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor. 5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes. Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream." Servings: 3 I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth. 3 stars 1 reviews