Dilled Carrot SoupCWS4322This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card.
Dilled Carrot Soup
2 c chicken broth (I use homemade)
2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley
2 T chopped shallots or green onions
2 garlic cloves
2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 c skim milk
1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first)
2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover.
3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor.
5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes.
Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream."
I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth.3 stars