Dilled Carrot Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card.

Dilled Carrot Soup

2 c chicken broth (I use homemade)
2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley
2 T chopped shallots or green onions
2 garlic cloves
2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 c skim milk

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first)
2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover.
3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor.
5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes.

Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream."

Servings: 3

I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth.

Last edited:
I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.

Last edited:
The soup does look good indeed!

Whiskadoodle: Here's my first thought for dill (and carrots actually!) that I've been making for years:

Creamy Dilled Carrots

4 c. thinly sliced
carrots
3/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. butter (no margarine!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. light cream
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced

In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar & pepper. Cover & simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside & keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour & cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover & let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8

I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.
Living in MN and surrounded by Scandahoovians, I'm surprised you don't use dill. My most favorite homemade chicken soup is loaded with chopped fresh dill. I think one could do this recipe using squash, beets, or sweet potatoes.

Last edited:
But Snip--aren't carrots on your list of foods you don't really like? I'd try this with sweet potatoes or winter squash...that is, if I didn't like carrots:LOL:.

Yip! but I'm a big girl, I must eat my veggies :angel:
I was thinking of using half carrots and half beets.

Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?

I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots :)

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!

This sounds wonderful! Thanks CWS!
And low in calories to boot! You could eat all three servings and that would be about 180 - 200 calories, depending on what you use for the chicken broth and if you roast the carrots with a bit of EVOO or put them in the broth.

Last edited:
I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots :)

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!
I do like it best with carrots from the garden. Store-bought carrots aren't nearly as tender or sweet as those from the garden. We have "buckets" of carrots (stored in sawdust) from the garden.

Dill goes with carrots. Also with fish!

I've printed out the recipe and added carrots to the grocery list.

I love carrots/potatoes/dill. Don't bother with gravy. It's yummy the way it is.

Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?

I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week :)
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.

I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week :)
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.

Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.

Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.

Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.

Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.

Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!

Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!

They are true baby carrots. I'm so glad I found these! I can make so much with them! I ate some raw and had some with lunch and dinner :LOL:

Packet is almost finished and I ate most of them myself.

Back
Top Bottom