"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I agree with those who are not keen on dumplings in a soup that is traditionally quite thick.

But as for dumplings, there are basically two kinds: the ones that you drop and the ones that you roll out and cut into strips. Personally, I would choose one and look up a recipe. I'm not a fan of packaged biscuit mix at all.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Besides the bisquick dumplings already mentioned, the only thing I could offer are gnocchi or the "belly buster" potato dumplings we serve with sauerbraten. It is my grandmothers recipe from Germany, but even though they are great, they are very heavy.

Craig
OMG Craig.....I just got the chivers remembering those potato dumplings of my German G.mother. As I remember, I was required to take a bite to be polite, and they tasted about as bad as they looked. I know they would have bounced if dropped on the floor, and not in a good way, more like a rubber ball. Nasty, really nasty.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I don't make any of those types of dumplings, but I do make potato dumplings to go with my sauerbraten:

POTATO DUMPLINGS
Ingredients
  • 6 potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbs Salt
  • 4 tsp butter, melted
  • tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbs onion, chopped
  • Croutons
  • cup dry breadcrumbs
Method

Boil potatoes with skin on. Refrigerate until ready to use. Peel boiled potatoes and press through a potato ricer. Combine potato, flour, egg, onion and seasonings into a dough.
Roll dough into balls the size of a golf ball. Press down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center and roll the dough around croutons to again form a ball.
Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower dumplings into boiling salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from water using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Combine butter and breadcrumbs and spread on plate. Roll dumplings in buttered breadcrumbs.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Kartoffel glas?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
OMG Craig.....I just got the chivers remembering those potato dumplings of my German G.mother. As I remember, I was required to take a bite to be polite, and they tasted about as bad as they looked. I know they would have bounced if dropped on the floor, and not in a good way, more like a rubber ball. Nasty, really nasty.
My arm didn't have to be twisted! I love the things and since we started to use potato starch as part of the flour addition, bake the potatos instead of boiling and running them through a potato ricer, they seem to be much lighter. They are really great sliced and fried in butter for breakfast the next day. There is a surprise of stuffing (bread cubes, onion, celery and spices) in the center of each dumpling. I think that was her touch.

One of my favorite meals is sauerbraten, kartoffelkloesse und rotkohl.

Craig
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Whenever I think of dumplings, I remember the cornmeal dumplings we had in soups and stews when I was a young'un. Cornmeal mixed with a little salt, just enough water to make a dense dough. Spoon dropped into the soup near the end of the cooking time so they don't dissolve away. These were especially good in the stewed fish my grandmother used to make. 'Course this was 40 - 50 years ago, but I can almost taste that fish stew still today.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
One of my favorite meals is sauerbraten, kartoffelkloesse und rotkohl.
and I might add, I feel like a lead balloon the next day after we have this, though I do like it as well.

The chef at a high-end italian restaurant that used to be a favorite as they made gnocchi as light as clouds, but has sadly closed, gave us the tip about baking/ricing the potatoes, as well as using cake flour for the gnocchi but we decided to try the potato starch for the German dumplings.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Well, I used some flour, baking powder, salt, an egg and some water, stirred it up real good, then dropped bits into the soup....they fluffed up and tasted just great.....I don't make the pea soup too thick and I do not use a ham bone.....Happy Easter Sunday to all those celebrating

Tags
None