Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
H'lo all. Happy Easter to those who are celebrating.
I want a recipe for dumplings to go into split pea soup....anyone????
thanks in advance.....;)

I always use a biscuit mix to make dumplings, the recipe is on the box.:chef:

I always use a biscuit mix to make dumplings, the recipe is on the box.:chef:
...or you could buy a roll of canned biscuits and add them to the boiling liquid...

or...
Dumplings

1. Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Microwave the milk and fat in a microwave-safe bowl on high until just warm (do not over-heat), about 1 minute. Stir the warmed milk mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until incorporated and smooth.
  2. 5. Return the stew to a simmer and drop golf-ball-sized dumplings over the top of the stew, about 1/4 inch apart (you should have about 18 dumplings). Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the dumplings have doubled in size, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve.
Each suggestion has its time and place and isn't any better than another, considering they are liquid soaked dough balls. ;)

I have seen in a recipe to use the canned refrigerated biscuits. Cut them up with scissors and drop them into the hot boiling or steaming liquid.

Diced white bread fried in olive oil and garlic is my favorite with split green pea soup. Don't know if that would work with pea soup made without the smokey flavor achieved by cooking the peas with broth made from the bone and remnants of smoked pieces of that 'other white meat'.

Actually I can't imagine dumplings in Split Pea Soup. I guess it just sounds over the top with carbs or something.. I love Bisquick dumplings in chicken or beef stew however.

This sounds tasty and crunchy Bill......I'll have to try it.
Diced white bread fried in olive oil and garlic is my favorite with split green pea soup.

Actually I can't imagine dumplings in Split Pea Soup. I guess it just sounds over the top with carbs or something.. I love Bisquick dumplings in chicken or beef stew however.

That does seem very high in carbs. Also pea soup is usually too thick to support using dumplings IMHO.

I agree. Pea soup and cornbread sound better together. Chicken & dumplings.

I still have to thicken the beef steak stew, and planned on making drop biscuits.

I've put it in the fridge so I can scrape the fat off tomorrow and use it to make a roux for thickening. So, maybe I'll just drop those drop biscuits on top of the stew and make dumplings. :chef:

Besides the bisquick dumplings already mentioned, the only thing I could offer are gnocchi or the "belly buster" potato dumplings we serve with sauerbraten.:) It is my grandmothers recipe from Germany, but even though they are great, they are very heavy.;)

Craig

H'lo all. Happy Easter to those who are celebrating.
I want a recipe for dumplings to go into split pea soup....anyone????
thanks in advance.....;)
Are you looking for dumplings to float on top or hard dumplings IN your soup (we call them hard dumplings and they look like chunks of fat noodles)? I have a recipe for hard dumplings if you want it ...

I agree with those who are not keen on dumplings in a soup that is traditionally quite thick.

But as for dumplings, there are basically two kinds: the ones that you drop and the ones that you roll out and cut into strips. Personally, I would choose one and look up a recipe. I'm not a fan of packaged biscuit mix at all.

Besides the bisquick dumplings already mentioned, the only thing I could offer are gnocchi or the "belly buster" potato dumplings we serve with sauerbraten.:) It is my grandmothers recipe from Germany, but even though they are great, they are very heavy.;)

Craig

OMG Craig.....I just got the chivers remembering those potato dumplings of my German G.mother. :w00t2: As I remember, I was required to take a bite to be polite, and they tasted about as bad as they looked. I know they would have bounced if dropped on the floor, and not in a good way, more like a rubber ball. Nasty, really nasty. :-p

I don't make any of those types of dumplings, but I do make potato dumplings to go with my sauerbraten:

POTATO DUMPLINGS
Ingredients

• 6 potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbs Salt
  • 4 tsp butter, melted
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbs onion, chopped
  • Croutons
  • ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
Method

Boil potatoes with skin on. Refrigerate until ready to use. Peel boiled potatoes and press through a potato ricer. Combine potato, flour, egg, onion and seasonings into a dough.
Roll dough into balls the size of a golf ball. Press down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center and roll the dough around croutons to again form a ball.
Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower dumplings into boiling salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from water using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Combine butter and breadcrumbs and spread on plate. Roll dumplings in buttered breadcrumbs.

Last edited:
OMG Craig.....I just got the chivers remembering those potato dumplings of my German G.mother. :w00t2: As I remember, I was required to take a bite to be polite, and they tasted about as bad as they looked. I know they would have bounced if dropped on the floor, and not in a good way, more like a rubber ball. Nasty, really nasty. :-p

My arm didn't have to be twisted!:) I love the things and since we started to use potato starch as part of the flour addition, bake the potatos instead of boiling and running them through a potato ricer, they seem to be much lighter. They are really great sliced and fried in butter for breakfast the next day. There is a surprise of stuffing (bread cubes, onion, celery and spices) in the center of each dumpling. I think that was her touch.

One of my favorite meals is sauerbraten, kartoffelkloesse und rotkohl.

Craig

Last edited:
Whenever I think of dumplings, I remember the cornmeal dumplings we had in soups and stews when I was a young'un. Cornmeal mixed with a little salt, just enough water to make a dense dough. Spoon dropped into the soup near the end of the cooking time so they don't dissolve away. These were especially good in the stewed fish my grandmother used to make. 'Course this was 40 - 50 years ago, but I can almost taste that fish stew still today.

One of my favorite meals is sauerbraten, kartoffelkloesse und rotkohl.

and I might add, I feel like a lead balloon the next day after we have this, though I do like it as well.

The chef at a high-end italian restaurant that used to be a favorite as they made gnocchi as light as clouds, but has sadly closed, gave us the tip about baking/ricing the potatoes, as well as using cake flour for the gnocchi but we decided to try the potato starch for the German dumplings.

Well, I used some flour, baking powder, salt, an egg and some water, stirred it up real good, then dropped bits into the soup....they fluffed up and tasted just great.....I don't make the pea soup too thick and I do not use a ham bone.....Happy Easter Sunday to all those celebrating

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom