"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I might need to heat it more as I did not allow the oil to shimmer. I just got it good and warm.
Should I heat it more?
Yes----- and I may not have said before --- after it reaches shimmer, let it shimmer for a few minutes more. How many minutes (heading you off at the pass ) I'm going to guess about 4-5 minutes. The important thing---- don't let the flakes change to a dark red. Just a bit of change.

Are you a Virgo?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Yes----- and I may not have said before --- after it reaches shimmer, let it shimmer for a few minutes more. How many minutes (heading you off at the pass ) I'm going to guess about 4-5 minutes. The important thing---- don't let the flakes change to a dark red. Just a bit of change.

Are you a Virgo?
Okay. How does it look? No Im a Cancer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chili Oil.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	20876  

Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Okay. How does it look? No Im a Cancer.
Looks almost the same as what mine does. Maybe a teeny bit darker, but computer colors are deceiving.

Do I detect a bit of residue in the bottom of the bottle? That won't hurt anything but I use a very fine strainer (chinois). Poured carefully, none of that residue will get poured out ( IF there is some).

More important----- how does it taste to you? Now you're the one to decide if you need more or less chili flakes. Good job!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
Master Chef

Even though I keep seeing this thread float to the top, I've resisted considering making it since we don't have a Costco near us.
Quote:
Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers....
Finally googled "Ling Ling" and halleluia!, they are sold quite a few places in addition to Costco: Target, Whole Paycheck (Foods), three local-to-me grocery stores! I see a trip to Target in my future...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Even though I keep seeing this thread float to the top, I've resisted considering making it since we don't have a Costco near us.

Finally googled "Ling Ling" and halleluia!, they are sold quite a few places in addition to Costco: Target, Whole Paycheck (Foods), three local-to-me grocery stores! I see a trip to Target in my future...

And now you've already got the directions! But that hot oil isn't only used on pot stickers in my life!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
Master Chef

Oh cave, my plans are to make the soup. My tender taste buds forbid me from making the oil.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Looks almost the same as what mine does. Maybe a teeny bit darker, but computer colors are deceiving.

Do I detect a bit of residue in the bottom of the bottle? That won't hurt anything but I use a very fine strainer (chinois). Poured carefully, none of that residue will get poured out ( IF there is some).

More important----- how does it taste to you? Now you're the one to decide if you need more or less chili flakes. Good job!
No residue at all. Tastes like spicy hot oil.
I used a couple tbs frying four pot sticker s for lunch. Nice and hot, but not to hot.
I did get the nose action when I added the chili oil to the hot pan.

I made a dipping sauce with soy sauce, honey and a few pepper flakes. Heated it up in the microwave and lunch was spicy and good.
I can see many other uses for my new oil. It will always be available at my station.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
No residue at all. Tastes like spicy hot oil.
I used a couple tbs frying four pot sticker s for lunch. Nice and hot, but not to hot.
I did get the nose action when I added the chili oil to the hot pan.

I made a dipping sauce with soy sauce, honey and a few pepper flakes. Heated it up in the microwave and lunch was spicy and good.
I can see many other uses for my new oil. It will always be available at my station.

Thanks.
Great----- I'm glad it was a success! "Nose action" ????

How I use my oil (for the pot stickers) is to cook them first then drizzle the oil over them after I've put them on my plate. That avoids the 'nose action'. But there's no wrong way to use the oil as long as you like it.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Great----- I'm glad it was a success! "Nose action" ????

How I use my oil (for the pot stickers) is to cook them first then drizzle the oil over them after I've put them on my plate. That avoids the 'nose action'. But there's no wrong way to use the oil as long as you like it.
Yea, That was one question regarding how you use it. I decided to try it as my cooking oil and it worked out very well.

Tonight I am making fish packets with parchment and plan to drizzle hot chili oil over the fish just before serving.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I had Ling Ling pot stickers yet again today for lunch. Two tbls chili oil for frying. Two tbls water to steam them at first.
Then my homemade dipping sauce. Very good.

Easy lunch except for the frying pan. Washing the pan I mean.

Tags
easy, soup