"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I had Ling Ling pot stickers yet again today for lunch. Two tbls chili oil for frying. Two tbls water to steam them at first.
Then my homemade dipping sauce. Very good.
I'll have to try them that way. But I really have to limit how many times I eat Ling Ling's a week/month because I could almost eat them everyday.

I just watched a cooking show on TV yesterday where a Food Truck made pot stickers filled with bacon-cheeseburgers, potato curry etc. Even a dessert pot sticker. Somehow that just doesn't appeal----- but why not? Guess I have to try to make some.

The Dump Truck

Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really want to try Ling Ling, but the nutrition list shows it's almost 50% of your daily sodium limit with sauce. Yikes!

Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I really want to try Ling Ling, but the nutrition list shows it's almost 50% of your daily sodium limit with sauce. Yikes!
Yep! I don't use the sauce, I just use my homemade chili oil. No sodium in that unless dried chili flakes have some slight natural sodium in it.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

A variety of fillings is the norm. It's a global item.

Just about every culture has a stuffed/filled dough food item. Whether it's a wonton, ravioli, pierogie, pot sticker, gyoza, etc. These are all boiled/steamed and sometimes browned in a pan. Other stuffed doughs, such as samosas, are fried.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A variety of fillings is the norm. It's a global item.

Just about every culture has a stuffed/filled dough food item. Whether it's a wonton, ravioli, pierogie, pot sticker, gyoza, etc. These are all boiled/steamed and sometimes browned in a pan. Other stuffed doughs, such as samosas, are fried.
Glad you brought up "fried". Ling Ling's instructions give a couple ways to prepare them. Deep frying is not one of them. I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?
It would make it so much easier for me as my Fry Daddy is always at the ready. Full of clean oil and just needs heating.

My dipping sauce for the pot stickers is: low sodium soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper flakes. If I have extra time, I add crushed garlic and crushed ginger. Then heat it up a little bit and strain. Bourbon is also very good in this dipping sauce. Garnish dipping sauce with sliced green onions (scallions).
I use this same sauce as salmon marinade and finishing sauce. Its different yet the same every single time it seems as i do not measure any of the ingredients.
There is a dipping sauce that accompanies the pot stickers in the bag. I do use it. But always use it up before the pot stickers are eaten.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Glad you brought up "fried". Ling Ling's instructions give a couple ways to prepare them. Deep frying is not one of them. I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?
It would make it so much easier for me as my Fry Daddy is always at the ready. Full of clean oil and just needs heating.

My dipping sauce for the pot stickers is: low sodium soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper flakes. If I have extra time, I add crushed garlic and crushed ginger. Then heat it up a little bit and strain. Bourbon is also very good in this dipping sauce. Garnish dipping sauce with sliced green onions (scallions).
I use this same sauce as salmon marinade and finishing sauce. Its different yet the same every single time it seems as i do not measure any of the ingredients.
There is a dipping sauce that accompanies the pot stickers in the bag. I do use it. But always use it up before the pot stickers are eaten.

I use this as a dipping sauce sometimes:

4 Tb Soy Sauce
2 Tb Sugar
2 Tb Water
1 Tb Rice Vinegar
Tb Sesame Oil
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?
I've never tried deep frying them but I don't see why they can't be deep fried if they've already been boiled. (Just guessing----- but wouldn't that sorta be the same as frying them?)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I bet deep frying them would work, it would make them sort of like egg rolls. Maybe try a couple and see.

Am liking the sounds of these dipping sauces!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think deep frying them before the wrapper has been cooked would make them too hard, it's a pasta and needs to be hydrated before frying.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use this as a dipping sauce sometimes:

4 Tb Soy Sauce
2 Tb Sugar
2 Tb Water
1 Tb Rice Vinegar
Tb Sesame Oil
Sounds like a plan Andy. All I need is the rice vinegar and the sesame oil.....lol
I have been using low sodium soy sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I've never tried deep frying them but I don't see why they can't be deep fried if they've already been boiled. (Just guessing----- but wouldn't that sorta be the same as frying them?)
I don't boil mine before frying them. I just cover with tap water and allow to sit for a couple minutes before frying.
This was my concern for deep frying. If I have to moisten them, then deep fry them, it would be more work than the way I do them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I bet deep frying them would work, it would make them sort of like egg rolls. Maybe try a couple and see.
Am liking the sounds of these dipping sauces!
Yes. cave told me about the chili oil. Cave uses the chili oil for dipping. I use it for frying them. They come out great fried in chili oil.

I like the chili oil so well, I just made another 2 cups. Boy, is peanut oil expensive! Almost as expensive as olive oil.
I may try making the chili oil with another type oil for this reason.

Tags
easy, soup