"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Boy, is peanut oil expensive! Almost as expensive as olive oil.
I may try making the chili oil with another type oil for this reason.
I buy my peanut oil at an Asian grocery and it's cheaper there than at other grocery stores.

You have to be careful, though, and read the labels. Some peanut oils are a blend of peanut oil and other oils. I only buy the ones on sale (at the Asian grocery) and that aren't blends.

As we speak, a new batch of chili flakes have been sitting in peanut oil for a day just waiting for me to heat it up for more hot oil.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

We were at lunch at a chain Chinese restaurant last weekend and our daughter ordered won-ton soup. more than enough for sharing. Won-tons in a chicken base with nice shrimp floating, along with thinly sliced mushrooms and fresh spinach. It was excellent!

Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping View Post
We were at lunch at a chain Chinese restaurant last weekend and our daughter ordered won-ton soup.
The same thing (only with pot-stickers which are a lot like won-tons only with more filling) is found here, just in case you're interested:

Easy pot-sticker soup
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I buy my peanut oil at an Asian grocery and it's cheaper there than at other grocery stores.

You have to be careful, though, and read the labels. Some peanut oils are a blend of peanut oil and other oils. I only buy the ones on sale (at the Asian grocery) and that aren't blends.

As we speak, a new batch of chili flakes have been sitting in peanut oil for a day just waiting for me to heat it up for more hot oil.
I will have to check an Asian store next time I am in town.

I soaked my flakes this time for three days on the counter. I was short one cup of oil, so i bought some yesterday and added the soaking flakes and one cup of peanut oil in a sauce pan and heated.

I strained mine this time with a cone shaped coffee filter inside a funnel. Wow, so pretty and pristine looking.

I ate pot stickers again for lunch. 3 days in a row now. I am almost out, so on the list they go. Costco is where I get mine.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
I will have to check an Asian store next time I am in town.

I soaked my flakes this time for three days on the counter. I was short one cup of oil, so i bought some yesterday and added the soaking flakes and one cup of peanut oil in a sauce pan and heated.

I strained mine this time with a cone shaped coffee filter inside a funnel. Wow, so pretty and pristine looking.

I ate pot stickers again for lunch. 3 days in a row now. I am almost out, so on the list they go. Costco is where I get mine.
I just replied to your post at the Rising Prices thread. Using a coffee filter is a good idea. I've always used a chinois strainer but a coffee filter is cheaper than buying a chinois.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
I just replied to your post at the Rising Prices thread. Using a coffee filter is a good idea. I've always used a chinois strainer but a coffee filter is cheaper than buying a chinois.
4 days straight. Pot stickers for lunch. I guess I need rehab?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

I keep a couple of cotton men's handkerchiefs in a kitchen drawer for straining. Works better than cheesecloth and is reusable.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
4 days straight. Pot stickers for lunch. I guess I need rehab?
An Intervention, perhaps?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
An Intervention, perhaps?
I only have 4 left in the freezer. So it looks like cold turkey for me until I can get back to Costco.

Oh. What will I do........

Tags
easy, soup