Easy pot-sticker soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers.

For one hefty serving I make 2 cups of chicken broth using Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor paste.

After the broth is boiling I throw in several ( I use 6-7 or more) frozen pot-stickers and then let that come back to a boil, turn down, simmer for about 8 minutes. Sometimes I cover it, mostly I don't.

Then it's ready!
I sometimes add some cubed firm tofu, green onion slices, a little soy but not always.
I always add my home-made hot chili oil but no one else has to do that, of course.

I bought some wontons at Costco and made a quick soup with chicken broth, garlic, ginger, scallions and mushrooms. If I'd had some bok choy at the time I would have added that too.

Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers.

For one hefty serving I make 2 cups of chicken broth using Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor paste.

After the broth is boiling I throw in several ( I use 6-7 or more) frozen pot-stickers and then let that come back to a boil, turn down, simmer for about 8 minutes. Sometimes I cover it, mostly I don't.

Then it's ready!
I sometimes add some cubed firm tofu, green onion slices, a little soy but not always.
I always add my home-made hot chili oil but no one else has to do that, of course.

I just had Ling Ling pot stickers for lunch. They are great!
The soup sounds great. You have given me a new idea for pot stickers!

I just had Ling Ling pot stickers for lunch. They are great!
The soup sounds great. You have given me a new idea for pot stickers!

I could eat Ling Ling pot stickers every day but refuse to go down that rosy path of addiction! So I have to devise ways to make it seem as if I'm not! ;)

What amazes me is the fact that there's very few additives in them.

http://www.ling-ling.com/images/Nutrition/3_1_Nutrition.gif

"All Natural - No MSG Added - No Preservatives - 0 Grams Trans Fat per serving"

I could eat Ling Ling pot stickers every day but refuse to go down that rosy path of addiction! So I have to devise ways to make it seem as if I'm not! ;)

What amazes me is the fact that there's very few additives in them.

http://www.ling-ling.com/images/Nutrition/3_1_Nutrition.gif

"All Natural - No MSG Added - No Preservatives - 0 Grams Trans Fat per serving"

I have never looked at the packaging! :LOL: Really. I had no idea they were that healthy! Loaded with carbs though.
I drop mine (4) into warm water for 3 -4 minutes, then add them to a non-stick pan and fry until nice and brown in grape seed oil.
I put about three TBLS water into the pan in the beginning to steam them a little bit. I think thats how the package says to do it.......LOL

They are fantastic! Easy too!

ps.......I found out about Ling Ling pot stickers on the TV show "Modern Marvels". The show was titled "Made in America".
To see them make them, will encourage anyone to buy them.
Do you use the dipping sauce provided? Or do you make your own?

Last edited:
I have never looked at the packaging! :LOL: Really. I had no idea they were that healthy!
I drop mine (4) into warm water for 3 -4 minutes, then add them to a non-stick pan and fry until nice and brown in grape seed oil.
I put about three TBLS into the pan in the beginning to steam them a little bit. I think thats how the package says to do it.......LOL

They are fantastic! Easy too!

That's pretty much how I fix my pot stickers ---- boil then fry. (I use peanut oil) But then I add a LOT of my homemade chili oil. I wouldn't suggest that anyone else does that. :ohmy:

I read ALL packaging! Always have, can't stop! Sometimes it worries me, but if it tastes great---- I just ignore it. ;)

Fortunately Ling Ling doesn't worry me.

I don't boil mine. Just let them steep in hot tap water while the pan heats up. For just a couple minutes.

They sound great in soup. Will try very soon. Thanks.

Sauce? Homemade or package?

Last edited:
Sauce? Homemade or package?

Ling Ling potstickers come with a soy based sauce in a separate small pouch. It's not hot enough for me----- so I use my own hot oil that I make by soaking a bushel (some exaggeration there---- but LOTS!) of red chili flakes in peanut oil for hours or a day or more then heating it up for a bit (you have to be careful not not over heat it or they will burn.). Then I strain them into a bottle(s) and that's it.

Nothing in it but oil and chili flakes, strained out.

That oil can be bought at an Asian grocery but too often it's rancid and always too expensive.

Ling Ling potstickers come with a soy based sauce in a separate small pouch. It's not hot enough for me----- so I use my own hot oil that I make by soaking a bushel (some exaggeration there---- but LOTS!) of red chili flakes in peanut oil for hours or a day or more then heating it up for a bit (you have to be careful not not over heat it or they will burn.). Then I strain them into a bottle(s) and that's it.

Nothing in it but oil and chili flakes, strained out.

That oil can be bought at an Asian grocery but too often it's rancid and always too expensive.

Yea, the sauce enclosed is s sweet soy sauce and can easily be upgraded.
I have tried to copy it with soy sauce, honey, garlic, pepper flakes, bourbon and ginger root. I garnish the dipping sauce with some sliced scallions.

I like the pepper oil idea. I have plenty red pepper flakes. (big jar from Costco) But no peanut oil. I can get some and make it this week.
Does it last for a good while? I can keep it in the fridge. Does the color of the oil change after infusing with chili flakes?

Last edited:
I like the pepper oil idea. I have plenty red pepper flakes. But no peanut oil. I can get some and make it this week.
Does it last for a good while? I can keep it in the fridge. Does the color of the oil change after infusing with chili flakes?

I can only tell you what I (and many friends) have experienced with this homemade chili oil: That's my disclaimer. :)

We've never kept it in the fridge, even during hot weather----- even in Albuquerque.

It seems to keep for a long time---- meaning when I make a LARGE batch the oil (not refrigerated) sometimes I won't get to the last bottle for at least 6 months, probably more.

The oil does change color, of course, due to the red of the chilis.

BUT---- very important!--- I keep it in the dark (cabinet). Sunlight will make any oil go rancid----- even the ambient light in a kitchen (which might take longer for rancidity to develop.)

I use peanut oil because that's the go-to oil for Chinese cooking, but probably any oil will work. I wouldn't use olive oil though. No reason, just don't think it would taste the same.

Make a small batch first and see how you like it. Good luck. Just don't lean over and breathe in the fumes!

I can only tell you what I (and many friends) have experienced with this homemade chili oil: That's my disclaimer. :)

We've never kept it in the fridge, even during hot weather----- even in Albuquerque.

It seems to keep for a long time---- meaning when I make a LARGE batch the oil (not refrigerated) sometimes I won't get to the last bottle for at least 6 months, probably more.

The oil does change color, of course, due to the red of the chilis.

BUT---- very important!--- I keep it in the dark (cabinet). Sunlight will make any oil go rancid----- even the ambient light in a kitchen (which might take longer for rancidity to develop.)

I use peanut oil because that's the go-to oil for Chinese cooking, but probably any oil will work. I wouldn't use olive oil though. No reason, just don't think it would taste the same.

Make a small batch first and see how you like it. Good luck. Just don't lean over and breathe in the fumes!

You are just using common red chili flakes right? The ground up dried chili's with seeds?
How much flakes to oil should I add? And you did say to heat it up?

Last edited:
You are just using common red chili flakes right? The ground up dried chili's with seeds?
How much flakes to oil should I add? And you did say to heat it up?

No, it's not ground up----- the chilies are crushed into large-ish flakes, maybe 1/16 1/8 inch or so. But the seeds are there.

Try a batch using 1 cup of peanut oil with about (I never measure) 1/2 cup or more of the chili FLAKES in it.

Let it sit like that for maybe a day.

Heat it up VERY SLOWLY (I use a flame tamer under the pan) until the oil starts to shimmer. (That's not a typo :)) then watch it carefully until the FLAKES start to turn a slightly darker red.

Turn the heat off and let it sit like that for maybe a day.

Then strain through a STRAINER into a clean bottle.

The hot-ness of the oil can be adjusted by how much chili flakes you use.

It sounds so complicated when written out but it really isn't.

Like this?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 263
Like this?

Yep! And that's where I buy my chili flakes when I don't get them an Asian market. Good luck----- don't overheat, don't breathe fumes. It's fairly easy to heat too much but it's hard to under-heat.

Yep! And that's where I buy my chili flakes when I don't get them an Asian market. Good luck----- don't overheat, don't breathe fumes. It's fairly easy to heat too much but it's hard to under-heat.

Okay. Got it. My wife is going to get me some peanut oil today. Thank you!

You're welcome. ------ so you're the cook in the family? Whatta guy!

I do all the cooking and grocery shopping. My wife does everything else. I should help her more.

Okay, I got the flakes and the oil combined and it has been sitting on my counter covered since last night.
I am going to warm it shortly and get it in a nice dispensing container.

Should it already be strong smelling? It has no smell yet. No kick yet is what i mean.

I do all the cooking and grocery shopping. My wife does everything else. I should help her more.

Okay, I got the flakes and the oil combined and it has been sitting on my counter covered since last night.
I am going to warm it shortly and get it in a nice dispensing container.

Should it already be strong smelling? It has no smell yet. No kick yet is what i mean.

Hard for me to know------ I think at the ratio I gave you perhaps not, especially if it's covered. Sorry. It may be too weak for you (or too strong) but it will be usable no matter.

If it's too weak you can always add more chili flakes and heat up again. If it's too strong/hot, obviously you just add more peanut oil and heat it up again.

All of the heating up should be done at a low temp to avoid burning the chili flakes.

I might need to heat it more as I did not allow the oil to shimmer. I just got it good and warm.
Should I heat it more?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom