Easy pot-sticker soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, is peanut oil expensive! Almost as expensive as olive oil.
I may try making the chili oil with another type oil for this reason.

I buy my peanut oil at an Asian grocery and it's cheaper there than at other grocery stores.

You have to be careful, though, and read the labels. Some peanut oils are a blend of peanut oil and other oils. I only buy the ones on sale (at the Asian grocery) and that aren't blends.

As we speak, a new batch of chili flakes have been sitting in peanut oil for a day just waiting for me to heat it up for more hot oil. :yum:

Last edited:
We were at lunch at a chain Chinese restaurant last weekend and our daughter ordered won-ton soup. more than enough for sharing. Won-tons in a chicken base with nice shrimp floating, along with thinly sliced mushrooms and fresh spinach. It was excellent!

I buy my peanut oil at an Asian grocery and it's cheaper there than at other grocery stores.

You have to be careful, though, and read the labels. Some peanut oils are a blend of peanut oil and other oils. I only buy the ones on sale (at the Asian grocery) and that aren't blends.

As we speak, a new batch of chili flakes have been sitting in peanut oil for a day just waiting for me to heat it up for more hot oil. :yum:

I will have to check an Asian store next time I am in town.

I soaked my flakes this time for three days on the counter. I was short one cup of oil, so i bought some yesterday and added the soaking flakes and one cup of peanut oil in a sauce pan and heated.

I strained mine this time with a cone shaped coffee filter inside a funnel. Wow, so pretty and pristine looking.

I ate pot stickers again for lunch. 3 days in a row now. I am almost out, so on the list they go. Costco is where I get mine.

Last edited:
I will have to check an Asian store next time I am in town.

I soaked my flakes this time for three days on the counter. I was short one cup of oil, so i bought some yesterday and added the soaking flakes and one cup of peanut oil in a sauce pan and heated.

I strained mine this time with a cone shaped coffee filter inside a funnel. Wow, so pretty and pristine looking.

I ate pot stickers again for lunch. 3 days in a row now. I am almost out, so on the list they go. Costco is where I get mine.

I just replied to your post at the Rising Prices thread. Using a coffee filter is a good idea. I've always used a chinois strainer but a coffee filter is cheaper than buying a chinois. :)

I just replied to your post at the Rising Prices thread. Using a coffee filter is a good idea. I've always used a chinois strainer but a coffee filter is cheaper than buying a chinois. :)

4 days straight. Pot stickers for lunch. I guess I need rehab? :LOL:

I keep a couple of cotton men's handkerchiefs in a kitchen drawer for straining. Works better than cheesecloth and is reusable.

Back
Top Bottom