"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Head Chef

Easy pot-sticker soup

Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers.

For one hefty serving I make 2 cups of chicken broth using Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor paste.

After the broth is boiling I throw in several ( I use 6-7 or more) frozen pot-stickers and then let that come back to a boil, turn down, simmer for about 8 minutes. Sometimes I cover it, mostly I don't.

Then it's ready!
I sometimes add some cubed firm tofu, green onion slices, a little soy but not always.
I always add my home-made hot chili oil but no one else has to do that, of course.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought some wontons at Costco and made a quick soup with chicken broth, garlic, ginger, scallions and mushrooms. If I'd had some bok choy at the time I would have added that too.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Okay, now I am hungry...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers.

For one hefty serving I make 2 cups of chicken broth using Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor paste.

After the broth is boiling I throw in several ( I use 6-7 or more) frozen pot-stickers and then let that come back to a boil, turn down, simmer for about 8 minutes. Sometimes I cover it, mostly I don't.

Then it's ready!
I sometimes add some cubed firm tofu, green onion slices, a little soy but not always.
I always add my home-made hot chili oil but no one else has to do that, of course.
I just had Ling Ling pot stickers for lunch. They are great!
The soup sounds great. You have given me a new idea for pot stickers!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I just had Ling Ling pot stickers for lunch. They are great!
The soup sounds great. You have given me a new idea for pot stickers!
I could eat Ling Ling pot stickers every day but refuse to go down that rosy path of addiction! So I have to devise ways to make it seem as if I'm not!

What amazes me is the fact that there's very few additives in them.

http://www.ling-ling.com/images/Nutr..._Nutrition.gif

"All Natural - No MSG Added - No Preservatives - 0 Grams Trans Fat per serving"
Old 03-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
I could eat Ling Ling pot stickers every day but refuse to go down that rosy path of addiction! So I have to devise ways to make it seem as if I'm not!

What amazes me is the fact that there's very few additives in them.

http://www.ling-ling.com/images/Nutr..._Nutrition.gif

"All Natural - No MSG Added - No Preservatives - 0 Grams Trans Fat per serving"
I have never looked at the packaging! Really. I had no idea they were that healthy! Loaded with carbs though.
I drop mine (4) into warm water for 3 -4 minutes, then add them to a non-stick pan and fry until nice and brown in grape seed oil.
I put about three TBLS water into the pan in the beginning to steam them a little bit. I think thats how the package says to do it.......LOL

They are fantastic! Easy too!

ps.......I found out about Ling Ling pot stickers on the TV show "Modern Marvels". The show was titled "Made in America".
To see them make them, will encourage anyone to buy them.
Do you use the dipping sauce provided? Or do you make your own?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
I have never looked at the packaging! Really. I had no idea they were that healthy!
I drop mine (4) into warm water for 3 -4 minutes, then add them to a non-stick pan and fry until nice and brown in grape seed oil.
I put about three TBLS into the pan in the beginning to steam them a little bit. I think thats how the package says to do it.......LOL

They are fantastic! Easy too!
That's pretty much how I fix my pot stickers ---- boil then fry. (I use peanut oil) But then I add a LOT of my homemade chili oil. I wouldn't suggest that anyone else does that.

I read ALL packaging! Always have, can't stop! Sometimes it worries me, but if it tastes great---- I just ignore it.

Fortunately Ling Ling doesn't worry me.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't boil mine. Just let them steep in hot tap water while the pan heats up. For just a couple minutes.

They sound great in soup. Will try very soon. Thanks.

Sauce? Homemade or package?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Sauce? Homemade or package?
Ling Ling potstickers come with a soy based sauce in a separate small pouch. It's not hot enough for me----- so I use my own hot oil that I make by soaking a bushel (some exaggeration there---- but LOTS!) of red chili flakes in peanut oil for hours or a day or more then heating it up for a bit (you have to be careful not not over heat it or they will burn.). Then I strain them into a bottle(s) and that's it.

Nothing in it but oil and chili flakes, strained out.

That oil can be bought at an Asian grocery but too often it's rancid and always too expensive.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ling Ling potstickers come with a soy based sauce in a separate small pouch. It's not hot enough for me----- so I use my own hot oil that I make by soaking a bushel (some exaggeration there---- but LOTS!) of red chili flakes in peanut oil for hours or a day or more then heating it up for a bit (you have to be careful not not over heat it or they will burn.). Then I strain them into a bottle(s) and that's it.

Nothing in it but oil and chili flakes, strained out.

That oil can be bought at an Asian grocery but too often it's rancid and always too expensive.
Yea, the sauce enclosed is s sweet soy sauce and can easily be upgraded.
I have tried to copy it with soy sauce, honey, garlic, pepper flakes, bourbon and ginger root. I garnish the dipping sauce with some sliced scallions.

I like the pepper oil idea. I have plenty red pepper flakes. (big jar from Costco) But no peanut oil. I can get some and make it this week.
Does it last for a good while? I can keep it in the fridge. Does the color of the oil change after infusing with chili flakes?

Tags
easy, soup