"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Me, too, Breezy! I know for a fact we actually have 2 - Goodweed and ChefJune! And lucky me, I have both of their books! I can't tell you what I kick I get out of reading and making recipes from authors that I "know". (Plus, they are both incredibly good writers. Even I can follow their recipes and explanations.)
You make me blush. And believe me, that's not an easy thing to do. Thanks. It makes all the work worth it.

And ChefJune, if you are reading this, how would I get hold of your book?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Hey Goodweed, if I managed to write a book, much less a really useful one, I'd be shouting it from the rooftops! Remember how surprised I was when you helped me and I said you should write a book and then you told me you already had????? Seriously, I think ya'll are waaaay too modest.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Egg Drop Soup:Slowly pour the beaten egg into the broth, taking care to keep the bowl moving. The idea is to form long strands of egg. Do not stir.
Hi Goodweed, thanks for posting your recipes! Stupid question -- What do you mean by keep the bowl moving? I thought maybe you mean keep the broth moving, but you also say not to stir... I'd like to be able to make long strands of the egg...

TIA!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Hi Goodweed, thanks for posting your recipes! Stupid question -- What do you mean by keep the bowl moving? I thought maybe you mean keep the broth moving, but you also say not to stir... I'd like to be able to make long strands of the egg...

TIA!
By this, I mean to move the bowl around as you slowly pour a thin, continuous stream of beaten egg into the broth. You have to be gentle with this so as to not break up the egg before it sets in the hot broth. This is also the reasaon you don't stir and why the soup is not boling at this point. The liquid is plenty hot enough to set the egg without it boiling. The egg sets at about 170' F. while water boils at around 212' F.

So, if the broth is realtively still, and you pour the egg in as a continuous strand, while moving the bowl that the egg is in, you get the long ribbons of egg. Hope that helps.

Oh, and traditionally, egg drop soup is a mild-flavored, clear chicken broth sometimes flavored with a hint of ginger or pepper, with little to no chicken meat, and chives sprinkled over the top. Of course, various restaurants will say that there's is the "authemtic recipe and will add carrots, chopped onion, celery, etc. But a little research will show you that what I claim is true. In any case, you can add whatever you like to make it "just right" for you. In fact, I encourage you to play with all of my recipes, and turn them into your recipes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Head Chef

Thanks GW! My mom's egg drop soup has always had short egg strands. I always wondered how restaurants did it. I'm gonna try your technique next time! :-)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

great recipes gw, thanks!

i'm definitely gonna try your egg snot soup recipe.

have you ever tried adding strips of nori to it? a local chinese place makes theirs that way, of which i'm addicted. but their broth is extremely fatty and salty, so i'd like to make a healthier version at home.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Kitchenelf - that isn't what I meant by posting my question. I was actually excited that we had a cookbook author in our midst. That's all. Geesh.
No need to get nasty Breezy. Kitchenelf was obviously making a joke.

GW, thanks for posting those. I do plan on trying the Won Ton soup someday.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
great recipes gw, thanks!

i'm definitely gonna try your egg snot soup recipe.

have you ever tried adding strips of nori to it? a local chinese place makes theirs that way, of which i'm addicted. but their broth is extremely fatty and salty, so i'd like to make a healthier version at home.
Egg Snot soup he says. Hey Bucky; I got a yard-full of snow and a good hurling arm. Not sure if I can pitch that snowball all the way to the East Coast though. Come a little closer, come on, just a bit closer. I dare ya. Just remember the hot-tub and all those water balloons we threw at the ladies. My aim is even better with snow balls.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, gw, i've heard that youpers play with their snowballs often...

j/k.

umm, whatta bout the seaweed? ever try it?

i love seaweed, in it's many varieties. btw, i was mistaken that it was nori. i just happened to be speaking to a buddy who knows the same chinese joint and is also addicted to the seaweed eggsnot soup. they do add a nori-like seaweed, but it is processed so that it breaks up more naturally in a hot liquid suach as the soup. it's not as "sheety" as nori is, if you know what i mean.

oh, i'm pm'ing you about the cookbooks. lol, i'm buying myself a christmas present this year, and it's your books. thanks, buddy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
yes, gw, i've heard that youpers play with their snowballs often...

j/k.

umm, whatta bout the seaweed? ever try it?

i love seaweed, in it's many varieties. btw, i was mistaken that it was nori. i just happened to be speaking to a buddy who knows the same chinese joint and is also addicted to the seaweed eggsnot soup. they do add a nori-like seaweed, but it is processed so that it breaks up more naturally in a hot liquid suach as the soup. it's not as "sheety" as nori is, if you know what i mean.

oh, i'm pm'ing you about the cookbooks. lol, i'm buying myself a christmas present this year, and it's your books. thanks, buddy.
I've never tried it in my soup because it is just not available around these parts. I have had nori and found it a bit overpowering. If used in a soup though, I believe it would be very good, kind of like using too much poisson sauce with rice noodles. If used in the right amount, it enhances the dish. If too much is added, then you get that "bucket full of dead fish) aroma and taste.

I do use clam juice in various things and love it. One of these years I would love to visit the east coast and try out some New England/New York/Jersey cuisine. I have heard very good things about the foods in your patch of ground.

I'll send you a PM with my address on it for the cookbooks.

Tags
None