"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Eggplant in soup?

Has anyone thrown eggplant in soup? I have some that is starting to go bad and didn't get to fix it earlier. I want to clean my fridge out and making soup. That way I will not feel bad to have to throw the food out. the lettuce is one thing I have no control of, cannot recycle. Everything else I know can go into the soup. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Master Chef

It doesn't do well in the soup, in my opinion it's like phew, I like it fryed or baked or made into something. If you have just few extra minutes slice it, dreded it and fry it.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a recipe for Muligatawny that calls for eggplant (among a million other things). It is a great recipe!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you

I DO so appreciate the quick response. I am in the middle of cleaning, cutting and spicing the soup I just got started. Well, looks like I am home for the day no going anywhere but then I am not expected today. Good thing. Have to check GB's recipe out. If I can spell the name I may locate it. GB you must have room full of recipes. GOOD! We all need more space for cooking. Me especially. I will salvage some of the eggplant as you suggest CharlieD but it may be only enough for one person, me. Guess I can do something for only me once in a while, don't you think?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Master Chef

okay if you have time, maybe you can do little bit more work. Do you happen to have some tomato, bell pepper and garlic? if yes i have an easy recipe for you.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

CharlieD

What do you make the stock with? I have beef that I am adding the vegetable to. Curious about the recipe, could you share it with us anyway? I got things rolling now so I have to use the beef
Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Sous Chef

rattatoulle(sp).....onions, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, green peppers,(mushrooms optional) salt and pepper, stew.....keeps in fridge for days. tastes better a day or two later. Can be eaten hot, room temp. cold.Sprinkle Parmesan on top....YUM!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Beef is good. Some times when I am in the mood for beef (not very often, I am kind of a chicken guy, no I am not a chicken) anyway, I make this clear beef stock, it has to simmer just right so stock comes out perfectly clear.

But that is not what I was talking about it.
Here is a quick egg-plant recipe.
1 eggplant
2 tomatoes
2 bell peppers
1 clove garlic or less, divided
Grated cheese.

Slice the eggplant and salt it set it a side. Chop bell peppers and tomatoes season to taste, sauté for 5-8 minutes with some olive oil. Add half of chopped garlic, cook another couple of minutes. Take of the stove, set aside.
Rinse eggplant, you can bread it or not, I do it both ways depends on my mood.
Fry on both sides, set on paper towel to get rid off extra oil. Put on a serving plate, scoop some tomato-pepper mixture on each slice, and sprinkle with rest of the garlic and cheese. Serve it hot if possible, room temp is also good.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Ohhhh CharlieD, that does sound good....would make a lovely appetizer, don't you think?....or, side dish, or, dish alone.....LOL...anyway, it sounds like a keeper...I shall try it .... thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Executive Chef

CharlieD

You got a winnah there!! Thanks for sharing and good I asked. I will fix this tomorrow due to the fact I have no time to think of any other way to use it that they will like. Always t ell me can't I fix something different? Like I run a restaurant or something? We all love eggplant and I don't want to wast e it.

It is so surprising when I clean the icebox to use veggies that are getting old, how different each and every pot of soup taste so different. Never like Campbells but different. Not watery either. I threw barley and pot atoes in the mix just to be little t hick. Also loads of garlic, onions, peppers, etc. I just figured one way to get the fridge clean. Like I said the lettuce presents problem everyweek since they all eat salads everyday and can never buy exact amount, either not enough or too much. The latter is hard to accept. Trying to keep it crisp is challenge since I try t o go to st ore only once a week..

Thanks you CharlieD wish you could find out if I do it right but will do exactly as you said. You must like eggplant too.

Tags
None