English Pea & Mint Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovesoup

Assistant Cook
Serves 4-6

Spring is finally here and what better way to celebrate than with this delicious Pea & Mint Soup. I love this soup, the taste is fantastic, and so easy to make. Whether you use frozen or fresh peas, you simply can’t go wrong. A nice extra is that you can also serve this soup cold on a hot summer day or as an amuse.

Ingredients

3 tbsp. butter

1 white onion, diced

1 clove of garlic, finely chopped

1 leek, finely chopped

750g fresh and shelled peas or frozen peas

75g fresh mint leaves, washed and roughly chopped

1.2 L vegetable stock

100ml half-fat crème fraîche

salt

black pepper, coarsely ground

Preparation

Melt the butter on medium heat in your stockpot. Sauté the onion and leek for 10 minutes or until soft but not brown. When they are about done add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.

Add the peas and the chopped mint leaves. Pour in your stock and bring to boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let the soup cool down for a few minutes. Then purée the ingredients with a hand blender in the stockpot or puree in batches in your blender. Return the soup to a clean pan, add the 100ml half-fat crème fraîche and season to taste with salt and coarsely ground pepper.

When ready to serve, bring back to a simmer and ladle in to bowls. Garnish with a few leaves of mint, and if you like a swirl of the crème fraîche.

Bon Appetite

Yes its one I do all the time as soon as the fresh mint is out in my garden. Great soup. I love soup too!

That's so nice to hear Gravy Queen! I just moved into my house quite recently and can't wait to plant some herbs, much better than having to buy! Have a great weekend, Claire

Hi Claire
A tads chilly here, but sunny (Grand National weekend, Ladies Day today, lots of goosepimply arms I suspect!).

Get a good stock of basic herbs going, I just feel like a Domestic Goddess going into the garden to snip them. I have mint (obvs!), thyme, oregano, marjoram, chives, parsley, and bay trees.

Hope that mint is in a container or it will take over your garden. I learned the hard way at our other house.
kades

Hi Claire
A tads chilly here, but sunny (Grand National weekend, Ladies Day today, lots of goosepimply arms I suspect!).

Get a good stock of basic herbs going, I just feel like a Domestic Goddess going into the garden to snip them. I have mint (obvs!), thyme, oregano, marjoram, chives, parsley, and bay trees.

'Ladies Day' sounds so exciting ;)! Will wait with planting until May 1st. Did you use pots or prefer to plant directly into the ground?

This sounds lovely! Now that Spring is almost in the air, can't wait for peas. Must put it on the list. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Herbs in containers is a better idea unless you have a big garden and could have a separate section for them. I like flowers in my garden so I keep my herbs contained in long tubs and individual pots.

Don't forget too you can dry your herbs for use in the winter, I hang mine up in the shed.

Here is a pic of my herbs drying in the shed.

I have no idea why there is a stuffed toy in my shed.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Dried herbs.jpg
    Dried herbs.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 189
Herbs in containers is a better idea unless you have a big garden and could have a separate section for them. I like flowers in my garden so I keep my herbs contained in long tubs and individual pots.

Don't forget too you can dry your herbs for use in the winter, I hang mine up in the shed.

Great idea, thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom