"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I also find lentil soup very satisfying. Red lentils are easy to cook and puree well. A pork broth based red lentil soup with sausage and potato added after pureeing is great.

this sounded unusual to me using pork broth. Could you share your recipe with me? Appreciate it and thanks Also never knew about red lentils, where do you normally get them?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
My tortilla soup is the biggest hit with my family. I make 2 versions: one with chicken and another with beef. It has lots of veggies, Mexican spices, corn tortillas, and garnished with avocado slices and a blend of Mexican cheeses. Mmmm...I think I'll make that for dinner tonight.
That looks great Dina - do you have a reecipe?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Sure. Do you have any canned tomatoes or anything? You could use boullion in a pinch as well.

I make a killer tomato based chicken stew/soup that's one of my favorites. Split pea, green pea and mint soup, Bouilliabaisse, red and white clam choudah, classic french onion. Beef stew, chili and goulash are other favs.

Would the stock cubes give a good taste? ive got some at home, but stopped using them as i find them a bit salty n fake flavoured. i always always have cannned tomatoes on hand so that would be much better any soups that i could make with that would be good please
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Another "Souper" here! especially when the weather starts to get cool... I love love love soup! Fall always starts with Rosh Hashanah, but who needs an excuse to make Matzo Ball Soup anyway?

All fall, wither and spring I am making soups and breads to go with them. This Sept I am having a party with home made Tomato Soup and "Gourmet" Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.....

Other major favorite soups include Split Pea (either with ham or without), Many Bean Soup, Cream of (Fill in the blank with the vegetable of the moment) Soup, my grandmother's Potato Soup, Mushoom Barley, French Onion, Fish Chowder, Mussel Soup with Saffron, Bourride. I could go on for days!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMALICIOUS View Post
Would the stock cubes give a good taste? ive got some at home, but stopped using them as i find them a bit salty n fake flavoured. i always always have cannned tomatoes on hand so that would be much better any soups that i could make with that would be good please
If you wanted to make a chicken soup you can use the water you boil the chicken in as the base. Here's a real simple soup base:

Bring about 8-10 cups of water to a boil. Add about 4-5 celery tops, bay leaf, black pepper corns and chicken parts. I usually buy a whole chicken and cut it into parts. The breast meat will cook before the dark meat so you'll want to remove that first then the dark meat parts. During the cooking process skim off and foam or fat that surfaces in the pot. To finish, run the broth through a fine strainer. You can use it as-is or freeze some for later.

Another easy one using veggies: Rough chop - carrot, celery, onion, asparagus (optional), leeks, 1-2 cloves whole garlic (optional) and sautee in a stock pot with olive oil over medium heat. You can keep the skin on the carrot and use the frawns of the celery for more flavor. Cook until slightly brown and carmelized. Deglaze with about 3/4 cup of good white wine. Add water, pepper corns, bay leaf, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple hours. Strain through a fine sieve.

You can use the veggie stock in place of chicken stock.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Here's an easy tomato based chicken soup/stew. Mine is pretty simillar to this as far as the base of the soup goes. You can add pretty much anything you want.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Jeekinz the recipe calls for broth? isnt that the same as stock n could i leave it out? i thought it was just the tomato, would that not be sufficient enough?

Tasty recipe though. i would add some noodles
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMALICIOUS View Post
Jeekinz the recipe calls for broth? isnt that the same as stock n could i leave it out? i thought it was just the tomato, would that not be sufficient enough?

Tasty recipe though. i would add some noodles
You could swap the broth for water if you wanted. Just make sure you season the soup accordingly. Would you still add the chicken though?

Yes, noodles go great in this type of soup. You can add potatoes, corn, beans, string beans, chiles, you name it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Brown Rice and Lentil Soup

Soup...is one of my favorite meals (not my husbands)

l and 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
one half cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 14 ounce can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 and one half cups red lentils
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 and one-half teaspoon dried basil
1 and one-half teaspoon dried thyme
1 and one half teaspoon dried oregano
one half teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
one half cup chopped parsley
In a large kettle, combine the veggies,stock,tomatoes,lentils,rice and herbs...except for the parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer stirring occasionally for about 35 minutes or until the lentils and rice are tender. Season with salt and pepper,remove the bay leaves, add the parsley and
serve.

I make 1/2 recipe sometimes. Great for a crowd Soup Party.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #30
Head Chef

I just made potato soup last night.
Attached Images

Tags
None